Home Forums Hunting Firearms Tumblin?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Bout time to take apart my Beretta 390 and give it a good cleaning. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried tumbling the gas piston parts with some brass and media in a tumbler? In theory it should work.

Participant

I’d go with bad idea. It will remove material along with the carbon and change the dimensions of your parts a little at a time

ECFirearmsECFirearms
    Participant

I’m with rlcrouse, I think bad idea to tumble them.

Try some Slip 2000 carbon cleaner, this stuff works very well. I use it on my Versamax and AR-15. This should not be used to clean the outside of your gun, its for cleaning bores and internal metal gun parts.

You can order direct or get it from Brownells.

https://www.slip2000.com/slip2000_carbon_killer.php

“Second Amendment – Either you are helping pull the wagon, getting a free ride in the wagon, or trying to take away the wagon. Which one are you?” -- IAShooters

Participant

Quote by: rlcrouse

I’d go with bad idea. It will remove material along with the carbon and change the dimensions of your parts a little at a time

x3 for reasons mentioned. If it were me and I wanted to do a thorough cleaning I would probably put the parts in an ultrasonic cleaner with some degreaser thrown in.

Participant

I was looking at using a big sonic cleaner for my AR uppers and handguns. I think it would work. As far as tumbling, I would pass. I know from reloading that media likes to get stuck in flash holes and stuff, so I wouldn’t want particulate matter getting lodged in my gun parts.

Participant

Sonic cleaners will work wonders. Father in Law used one to clean up clocks before putting them back in shape. took off all kinds of crude. If you use the solution you will need to have two as it needs to be deactivated after the parts are clean.

It would definitely work for small parts or assembled actions.

I would have to agree that tumbling would introduce some unneeded wear on small parts. Last thing you want to be with a gun is a test pilot.

CCACCA
    Participant

carbon is tough, but it can be taken off plenty easy enough…

tumbling is fine, but you’ll spend a bunch of money on media if it is really stuck on hard. many times walnut and corn cobs won’t pass muster. so folks use stainless rod media or ceramics. both are excellent, but are costly.

there’s a product i’ve used for years for things all the way from ar15 bolts, to suppressors, etc. i buy the 16oz carbon killer and just drop the parts right down in the jug… here’s a source:

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/solvents-degreasers/solvents/solvents-prod23534.aspx?psize=96

"I thought I trusted the rope until it mattered to me whether it would bear me. Now it matters, and I find I didn't..." - C.S. "Jack" Lewis - A Grief Observed

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.