Home Forums Miscellaneous Love it….Hate it… Truck shock replacement schedule

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I have a 2014 Ford F250 crew cab XLT with a little over 98k miles on it. It is a gasser without the FX4 package. I tow a Lund 1675 almost every weekend to fishing spots that average 140 mile round trip. I bought the truck used with approximately 95k miles on it, and I don’t think the shocks have ever been replaced.

QUESTIONS:
    1.- Should I be looking to replace the OEM shocks already, or can I get another 30k miles or so out of them? The truck feels very solid and doesn’t ride any rougher than any other 3/4 ton I’ve driven.
    2.- If I should be looking to replace, does anybody have a recommendation for aftermarket shocks that provide a good balance of towing performance without being so stiff they jar your teeth out?

Thank you in advance for the advice.

Participant
    Up
    Down

If they are not leaking and do not bounce more than 1 time when you push down on the bumper hard, I would not replace. If you do need new ones I would recommend OEM shocks on these trucks, they seem like the best matched for ride and towing.

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I ALWAYS buy lifetime shocks, not OEM. As soon as they go bad, replace for free.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Thanks for feedback guys.

Dano- is there a brand that you have had good success with? Google search top honors go to Bilstein, Monroe, and KYB.

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I usually get Monroe’s from O’Reillys. Their warranty process is great. Just keep receipt in the glove box!

Participant
    Up
    Down

Bilstein are great shocks. But spend. Made in Germany.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Thanks again guys i appreciate it. I know Chevy has used Bilsteins on the Z71 off road package for 20 plus years, but they are spendy and can be rough riding.

Dano- Thanks for head’s up on Monroe and O’reilly’s. That would be the most convenient route for me since they have a store in Carroll and Perry.

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Good Luck!

Participant
    Up
    Down

Joel, I wouldn’t worry to much on the shocks. I didn’t replace the shocks on my Dodge 2500 until I had 160K. Jump up on the bumper a couple of times and see if it rebounds much. If the shocks are not leaking you should be good for awhile. I put ranchos on when I did replace.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Thanks Steve and I appreciate the comments on your experience.

The genesis of this question came to me while I was taking the old struts off my 2003 Impala this week. It has 210k miles on it and I don’t think Mom and Dad ever had them changed based on how poorly it was riding, the noises it was making, and the amount of hammering and PB it took get the retaining bolts out. 😯 I was hoping that I could put the tools away for a while and didn’t need to work on the truck yet, and based on everyone’s feedback it sounds like I should be good for a good while yet.

I know there are manufacturer recommendations, but I trust real world experience from others much more. You guys aren’t trying to sell more shocks!

Thanks again!

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant
    Up
    Down

FYI: “Jumping on the bumper” will not adequately test a shock. Shocks are a safety item, not a luxury, and should be tested as such. A worn shock will cause a vehicle to lose control when it hit bumps in the road, possibly causing an accident.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Also if you start getting uneven wear on your tires like they are out of round and can’t seem to be balanced a leading cause is bad shocks. I just went through this. I replaced my front springs and put Bilstein 5100s on.
    You should have a stiff firm ride, that’s your shocks pushing your tires to the ground. You don’t want that rocking horse feeling after you go over a railroad track, that’s when your shocks are worn-out and not keeping the tires to the ground so you are actually losing traction. It will feel softer unless you are bottoming out. I would think you would probably notice something was up while pulling the boat.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Your ride quality is a much better indicator than the odometer. We’ve done factory shock replacement at 50k on a farm truck and 165k on a salesmans sedan. Another vote for Monroe.

WhipWhip
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I had a 2002 f250 4×4 crew cab and was on my 3rd set when I was wrecked. I got 40000 on the factory shocks and put on a set of Monroe lifetime and replaced them at 110000. I pull a heavy horse trailer in rough country. My shocks take a beating off road on two tracks.

Whip

Participant
    Up
    Down

Just had front strut assembles and rear gas magnum. 110,000. $575 + labor and tax. 70 miles this evening. Amazing. Note. I have a 2007 Ram 1500. 3 different applications on the front, not interchangeable!. Rears are easy, Rears hard, really hard.
    Bumper test was OK. Problem was pitch and roll.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.