Home Forums Miscellaneous Boating Trolling motor

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

I have a 14′ jon boat that i would like to take on an electric motor only pond. My question is if i mount a 50 or 55 trolling motor next to my outboard would i be able to load my boat back on the trailer just using the trolling motor?

BuckFever86
    Participant
    Up
    Down

You might have to lift it up while it’s on to get in close enough to the trailer to hook it up. I’ve done it before when my motor went out on me.

Oldbear
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Depends how deep you stick the trailer in the pond.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

CRIA1576
    Participant
    Up
    Down

You might have to lift it up while it’s on to get in close enough to the trailer to hook it up. I’ve done it before when my motor went out on me.

x2

Not a big deal… Also a 50# thrust will shove that boat around really well. I have the same set up for the same application. I actually use this boat and trolling motor to power up to rock dams on the North Coon when the water is low. Then we just float back down to the ramp or pull out.

Tight lines!

moose07
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Thanks for the replies.

stevenoak
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I would put on a good winch to help load. A problem I have had going too big on trolling motor on a small boat. Is it didn’t have a low enough speed for trolling slow. That left me constantly turning it off and on.

TeamAsgrow
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: stevenoak

I would put on a good winch to help load. A problem I have had going too big on trolling motor on a small boat. Is it didn’t have a low enough speed for trolling slow. That left me constantly turning it off and on.

I have this problem on my 12′ boat. My 50lb thrust Minn Kota pushes it too fast even on the lowest setting. I have gotten used to having one hand on the controls at all times. On the other hand. It really pushes it at a good clip on the highest setting.

HEUY
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Wouldn’t a variable speed trolling motor be slow enough (like 1mph) and I was told electric trolling motors will normally max out speed at 4mph.

TeamAsgrow
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: HEUY

Wouldn’t a variable speed trolling motor be slow enough (like 1mph) and I was told electric trolling motors will normally max out speed at 4mph.

It really depends on the boat being pushed. In my case I back troll with my motor in the lowest reverse speed, that helps me move fairly slowly.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.