Trip to Lake Winnipeg2018-03-03T02:23:16-05:00

Home Forums Fishing Ice Fishing Trip to Lake Winnipeg

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

We take our annual ice fishing trip to Lake Winnipeg next month and have some room if two or three of you would like to go. We rented a lakefront cabin on the west side, near Chalet Beach from March 3rd thru the 10th. The price for lodging would be 300.00 to 400.00 per person, depending on how many went. We usually fix our own meals, so the trip is relatively cheap. It sounds like the snow is getting pretty deep on the lake, so you would probably need a tracked machine. This is an opportunity to catch multiple walleyes over 7 lbs during the week with a true shot at a giant. If you’ve never seen a “greenback” from Lake Winnipeg, they are mutants! If you’re interested, PM me and I can provide details. I’ve posted several pictures of our trips in the past, but they’ve been removed because of the Photobucket deal.

Participant

Nice of you to offer this up. I would not be able to make it this year.

Is this place all that it is cracked up to be? I have heard crazy stories about the size of the walleyes and it is on my bucket list.

I am assuming you do it on your own? Recently went to Waubay and the guide all go up there for their vacation. They said that numbers have been down because they have been fishing the lake commercially.

Participant

Quote by: bbump

Nice of you to offer this up. I would not be able to make it this year.

Is this place all that it is cracked up to be? I have heard crazy stories about the size of the walleyes and it is on my bucket list.

I am assuming you do it on your own? Recently went to Waubay and the guide all go up there for their vacation. They said that numbers have been down because they have been fishing the lake commercially.

It’s an awesome fishery, but they do commercially fish it and have been for decades. The difference is that they’ve started using 6″ gill nets and are now targeting the larger fish. This will be our 5th year of going and last year was definitely the slowest. With that said, each of us still caught a walleye over 28″ during the week. We’ve never hired a guide, but it wouldn’t be a bad idea for one day if it’s your first time up there. The key is to keep moving till you find fish. The south basin doesn’t have any real structure, so your just hoping to land on a large school of fish or bait fish. When it all comes together, it’s amazing! Two years ago, on the last day of our trip, we had temps in the 50’s, the sun was shining, there was no wind and the fish were aggressive. I personally caught 12 walleyes over 8lbs on that day and we had to quit fishing at four. Not many places exist that give you a chance for a day like that. They’ve been doing well this winter with big fish, so I’m hopeful that we can get on them.

Participant

Thanks for the information. I have to go now. I usually pay for a guide so I make the trip worthwhile. 1 walleye over 8 pounds in my life would be more than satisfying.

Participant

If you fish that lake for a week, I would be very surprised if you didn’t catch at least a couple over 8, with a real good shot at a 10+. I’ll post some pics when we get back.

Participant

I’m heading up there February 21-25. I’ve never been. Have a guide set up for a few days with Blackwater Cats

Participant

Cool! Post some pics and let me know what baits and colors are working best. Good luck to you guys.

Participant

Fishing was unreal. Caught 12 fish over 28″ the first day we were there in our 6 man group. 30.5″ won for the biggest fish. If you’re looking for a guide, reach out to Blackwater Cats. Also Icefisher, you have a private message.

Participant

Quote by: Hawkfisher

Fishing was unreal. Caught 12 fish over 28″ the first day we were there in our 6 man group. 30.5″ won for the biggest fish. If you’re looking for a guide, reach out to Blackwater Cats. Also Icefishes, you have a private message.

Yowsa! 12 fish over 28″ is some pretty tall cotton. Wait a minute…you are referring to walleyes right? 🙂 Seriously though, congrats, that had to be a blast!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!