Trap’n Cab’n 2018-07-09T10:28:43+00:00

Home Forums Trapping / Fur Handling Trapping Trap’n Cab’n

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

A few years back, I told Patrick I would do an article on my Trap’n Cab’n build. Little did I know just after I commited did the Drs want to do a quintuple bypass on my broken heart.  Thus all went on hold including a season of high dollar western yote pelts.

I finished it up last fall and after a full season trapping Neb yotes, the build and pull test revealed I must of built it right! Anyway heres a few photos. BTW its 7 feet wide by 12 feet long. Has a single bed, shower, and cooking/eating area. Its heated with a Mr, Heater vent free heater, and I used 160lb of propane to keep it a cozy 68 degrees for sleeping last winter. Coldest temps were -13 and there I went through way to many blizzards with 50mph winds.  Here is just a few photos of the build and use. Bottom line, no more tents for this trapper and caller in the winter.

The Trap'n Cab"n

orngruffee
    Participant

That is too cool. Wish I was 40 years younger!

Crappie Kid2
    Participant

Sweet rig thanks for sharing.

IATOGA
    Participant

Very nice !

oaxaca
    Participant

VERY NICE!!!!  Now you just need to improve your taste in beer.

If you don’t mind, how did you build it?  Did you find plans or come up with your own?

TheDuckMasterTheDuckMaster
    Participant

I responded to OAXACA but I guess I am still a spam…:) Patrick or Admins can you help please. Again more photos added.

Thank you all

Larry

Participant

VERY NICE!!!! Now you just need to improve your taste in beer. If you don’t mind, how did you build it? Did you find plans or come up with your own?

Beer keg was an experiment in water storage. As you can pressure a beer keg I thought why not avoid a DC pump and use a keg pump for water. Still to much work so 5 gallons buckets of water with 2 gallaon metal pails. The 2 gallon metal pails can be heated on a butane stove fairly quickly and one is my lather bucket and the other is my rinse bucket for taking showers.  Simple, no pumps, no electricity and on the line in winter one usually doesn’t get as dirty as in summer. One reason is layered clothing.

No plans. I just stacked 1 x 8 tongue and groove red cedar. When it looked to be the right height for the walls, I went to the sawmill and had them cut dimensional lumber ( 2 x 8 red cedar ) from old telephone poles. Ceiling/roof  was a 4 x 8 wainscot, 1×6 pine spacers over the wainscot  with steel roofing screwed to it. Door came from the Home for Humanities Re-store and Windows sashes came from a neighbor getting new windows. Door and window frames were cut down 2/8 red cedar. Floor is an old engineered floor we tore out a few years back. It was placed over 1 inch foam. Shower pan is a washer pan placed for wash machine over flows. 12 volt battery wih 10 amp inverter for power. Propane Mr. Heater Ice House heater with thermostat. Lighting comes from a Milwaukee 2363-20 M18 18V Cordless Lithium-Ion Lantern/Flood LED Light which also has a USB plug for charging my phone.

First coat of wood protector went on while it was flat to ensure a good soaking.

Checking the wall height. This changed quite a bit during the build until I settled on a ~ 5′ height.

Ready for the steel roofing

Cut down the free window sashes and then framed them up and installed hinges.

Determining door size and fitment. Note the wainscoting for the ceiling that is carried from the porch to cabin front. Also note the telephone pole dimensional Cedar. 

If you can build a box you can build this on any size trailer.  Strong because the frame is outside and inside. Weight with a heavy trailer is 3200 LBS. I owned the trailer: thus  wood cost, door, floor insulation, roof, hardware wood sealant, came to $1100.00. Tools used table saw, miter saw, electric srewdriver, electric drill, measuring tape…calculator.  If you don’t have all the wood tools, a circular saw and electric screwdriver plus drill would be enough, it would just take a while longer.

Handling on the highway.  I use an equalizer hitch. Towing it at 62 mph seems perfect. Faster speeds are no problem but with the flat front you’ll need more RPMs for a faster speed. I like my gas engines to stay around 2500-3,000 RPM. I tow it with a 2004 Suburban, 5.3L. For trapping I added an additonal 1100 lbs of gear to the total weight of the cabin/trailer. No big deal the trailer has 4 electric brakes and is rated at 7,000 lbs.

Larry

IATOGA
    Participant

Thanks for the pics Duck. I have been wanting to build a small hunting cabin like that up on our mountain here in North Georgia. You just gave me the incentive to get started on it

Participant

Thanks for the pics Duck. I have been wanting to build a small hunting cabin like that up on our mountain here in North Georgia. You just gave me the incentive to get started on it

If I can help email me or we can continue here.

IATOGA
    Participant

Sure will, i appreciate that.  Have most of the material, just have to figure out how i am going to get it up there !

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.