Home Forums Miscellaneous Boating Trailer Brakes

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Quote by: BushFamilyNine

I would think most modern hydraulic brakes have automatic adjusters. Backing up and getting the wheels to come to a complete stop during braking should adjust them a click or two. Multiple attempts would be needed to set them in. As mentioned above, there are some other factors that make brakes grabby for awhile.

if they are already too tight,this will not help,and they wont get any tighter,however,IF they are too tight to begin with,the trip will accomplish two things,burnishing and MAYBE enough wear to not require further adjustment.

Participant

Quote by: Runngun675

thats exactly what Im thinking is an adjustment.. They stop really well and if i only do about a 1/4 of the pedal with my truck they stop smooth as can be but if you push to much more those things lock like an e-brake but then like i said foot comes off the brake and they instantly release. I kinda thought something was up they work good but thats to good And idk about master cylinder lines I just know one thing they replaced was the master cylinder so Im asumming I do

I think this is part of your answer too. You trailer braking gear is being married an ABS system. Brake lighter and give yourself plenty of room. Keep an eye on the drum temps.

Participant

This maybe a dumb question, but is this happening with the trailer empty or with the boat on the trailer? The reason for my statement is that empty trailer the brakes are going to be touchy and loaded probably just right. I would let them break-in.

Participant

If you have surge brakes you will not have drums. They are brake pads, rotors, and calipers. I have not had a lot of luck trying to adjust. They need to be properly bled. They will still drag a little. You should have a 5 prong plug coming from trailer. I always had tow package on my truck so it wired for round 7. You can buy a 5 prong adaptor and your surge brakes should work fine backing up. If you need to bleed insert ball withinsert in coupler. Should have a bleed valve on each side. Open have someone pump it until you remove air and shut and go to other wheel and do same. Hope this helps

Participant

Quote by: Crestliner96

If you have surge brakes you will not have drums. They are brake pads, rotors, and calipers. I have not had a lot of luck trying to adjust. They need to be properly bled. They will still drag a little. You should have a 5 prong plug coming from trailer. I always had tow package on my truck so it wired for round 7. You can buy a 5 prong adaptor and your surge brakes should work fine backing up. If you need to bleed insert ball withinsert in coupler. Should have a bleed valve on each side. Open have someone pump it until you remove air and shut and go to other wheel and do same. Hope this helps

you must have a fairly new trailer,every trailer I have worked on the last thirty five years save the last five, that are hydraulically activated have had shoes,and drums,and they have always been called surge brakes,I have even done the vacuum over hydraulic ones,thank goodness they have done away from them!! the vacuum ones anyway. not trying to be a smart @#$ by the way.

Participant

96 shorelander roller trailer. I have not worked or saw any surge brakes that are not rotors and caliper. Also not trying to be a a$$ or anything just trying to help.

Participant

My boat trailer has surge brakes and they are drums. In fact, there are many trailers that have surge brakes and drums and they are far more common than the disc style.

Participant

Quote by: Spin

My boat trailer has surge brakes and they are drums. In fact, there are many trailers that have surge brakes and drums and they are far more common than the disc style.

Agreed. I just converted my 20′ snowmobile trailer from surge brakes to electric brakes and they were definitely drums and pads that I removed. Every surge setup I’ve seen has been drums….

-Munchy

Participant

After going down to Missouri this weekend my problem has went away. I think it was a little bit of needing broke in and a little over compensating with my truck brakes since I hadnt had trailer brakes for awhile. After a little while I figured the sweet spot and there arent locking up anymore.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.