Home Forums Miscellaneous Boating Trailer Brakes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have a tandem axle 20 ft trailer for my boat. I took it to the shop and they said basically everything besides the frame of my trailer everything was shot and I had never had working brakes so in reuslt they re did basically everything. New master cylinder lines, bearing drums the works. It was expensive…… My question is so I drove home and for the life of me I cant get the wheels to not lock up in low speeds from breaking There are so touchy. I give more then a quarter of my foot to the brake and there locked. They istantly disenegage when I release my foot from the brake but there are ridicilously touchy. Anyone expeierence this? Maybe there just to new and will break in a little??

Participant

brakes will need what is called burnishing,but that happens in time,if they are that touchy,they are set up to tight.take it back and have them back off the adjusters a little.

Participant

You need to adjust the brake controller , to find the sweet spot.

Participant

There drum brakes so do they back off just like automotive?

Participant

Do you have a brake controller mounted somewhere near the bottom of dash drivers side ?

Participant

no not that im aware off. Its a 97 trailer and im towing with a 2004 durango

Participant

Quote by: trout

You need to adjust the brake controller , to find the sweet spot.

no intent to be a smart %$#,but his are hydraulic,the only adjustment other than master cylinder rod length is by adjusting the shoes themselves,they are of the automotive style,and sounds like to me they are too tight,may have to back them off about a turn to start with,the only other thing that will make any drum type brake grab like that is if they forgot to wipe the cosmolene off with solvent,but when brakes are oily or tacky from what ever reason,they usually dont release right away.
    sounds like re-adjustment is all that is needed.

Participant

Quote by: Runngun675

I have a tandem axle 20 ft trailer for my boat. I took it to the shop and they said basically everything besides the frame of my trailer everything was shot and I had never had working brakes so in reuslt they re did basically everything. New master cylinder lines, bearing drums the works. It was expensive…… My question is so I drove home and for the life of me I cant get the wheels to not lock up in low speeds from breaking There are so touchy. I give more then a quarter of my foot to the brake and there locked. They istantly disenegage when I release my foot from the brake but there are ridicilously touchy. Anyone expeierence this? Maybe there just to new and will break in a little??

If you have “master cylinder lines” then you have hydraulic surge brakes. No brake controller to adjust.

Locking up wheels are often from being set too loose, and then slamming on and hanging up. They will need to be readjusted. I would expect a shop to tell you to burnish the brakes in properly or that they would do this themselves. If you have a jack (and you should if you travel) then safely raise one wheel and see how it free-wheels. There should be a very slight amount of drag depending upon what type of axles you have. Hydraulic surge brakes are a different animal than electric brakes. I don’t like them as backing up in rough ground can end up locking your trailer in place.

Participant

thats exactly what Im thinking is an adjustment.. They stop really well and if i only do about a 1/4 of the pedal with my truck they stop smooth as can be but if you push to much more those things lock like an e-brake but then like i said foot comes off the brake and they instantly release. I kinda thought something was up they work good but thats to good And idk about master cylinder lines I just know one thing they replaced was the master cylinder so Im asumming I do

Participant

pardon me I was imagining electric over hydraulics , Your new set up could be a bit stiff and in need of small break-in period then adjust drums buy backing the slack adjuster off a little as suggested, for the coin you paid take it back for this adjustment.

Participant

BIG QUESTION is im leaving for missouri tonight as long as I use a little more distance to brake and go easy Im not going to destroy anything over a weekend would i?

Participant

BIG QUESTION is im leaving for missouri tonight as long as I use a little more distance to brake and go easy Im not going to destroy anything over a weekend would i?

if what I say is worth anything,IF you leave yourself an OUT,meaning above average driving skills for the time being,you should be okay,set up the way they are will only cause accelerated tire wear and frustration if you are hard on the whoa pedal, just use judicious braking skills and give yourself enough time to stop,they will be worth their weight in gold in a panic stop though

Participant

Quote by: walleye+warrior

if what I say is worth anything,IF you leave yourself an OUT,meaning above average driving skills for the time being,you should be okay,set up the way they are will only cause accelerated tire wear and frustration if you are hard on the whoa pedal, just use judicious braking skills and give yourself enough time to stop,they will be worth their weight in gold in a panic stop though

thanks!! thats basically what I was thinking give myself a little more time to brake and avoid having a heavy foot on the brakes to get through the weekend and drop it back off monday to get adjusted

Participant

Quote by: walleye+warrior

thanks!! thats basically what I was thinking give myself a little more time to brake and avoid having a heavy foot on the brakes to get through the weekend and drop it back off monday to get adjusted

dont know what just happened,but received a “gateway time out” before I could right this,so edit to add:
    now I will be a smart @#$,if you are real good,you should be able to make all four tires look like stop signs!!! I have seen it done, here is the set up;
    dually pick up,pulling a toybox camper,WITH a pontoon behind the camper!! electric brakes on the camper,and surge brakes on the pontoon trailer,ssshheeeeezzzzzz!!!!

Participant

I would think most modern hydraulic brakes have automatic adjusters. Backing up and getting the wheels to come to a complete stop during braking should adjust them a click or two. Multiple attempts would be needed to set them in. As mentioned above, there are some other factors that make brakes grabby for awhile.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.