Home Forums Miscellaneous The Battlefront Tragic story–PLEASE READ!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

Where to start…..

Our friend’s (and my son’s godparents) had a horrible incident this past week. They live in the Lansing/Harper’s Ferry area, and their dog was gunned down by a “hunter”. It hurts me to bite my lip and not speak my mind, as I don’t wanna get booted off this site. I won’t give the name of the guy that killed the dog, but I do know his name, address, phone number, and website. He supposedly guides hunting trips in that part of the state. He’s from Mason City. I hope he’s not a member of this site. He was either scouting or hunting for turkeys, I’m not sure, but our friend’s dog showed up and started chasing turkeys. What kind of human does it take to do something like that??!! This guy is going to be in a world of trouble. A group has been started on Facebook, and alot of people have already contacted DNR, the Humane Society of North Iowa, and some similar places. This guy also shot the same dog awhile back, even! So their dog had a very rough last few months of life. My friend actually ran the guy down after it happened, and was told that he would shoot the dog again, if given the chance. We need to make sure this guy isn’t allowed to guide anymore, or even be allowed to own a gun! If you need any contact info for this “man”, please PM me. I have all the info you could ever need. I don’t want somebody else’s best friend to meet the same fate. I am open to all comments/advice. Thanks alot!

marie_b
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Can you share a link for the facebook group?

Quando omni flunkus, moritati. (When all else fails, play dead.)

Gung HO
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I agree that an investigation should be done. I also keep my dogs at home. I have spent a lot of time and energy training my dogs and they stay on my land. I am NOT saying that he was justified in shooting the dog but the owner bares some responisbility for controling his dog. I have had to explain to my kids why one of our dogs wasn’t around any more and it broke my heart to see the look on their faces but I was not around when the School bus ran him over. My deepest sympothy to the family of the dog. It is always hard to loose a friend.

bigjake
    Up
    Down

Do not share this guys name on Iowa Outdoors. I think he is well known by members here and that is enough. Just a cautionary note to anyone who thanks they are going to play policeman here. Leave names out!

Thanks.

Bob

katman_iowa
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I will do that. Administrators, if you don’t agree with me doing this, just let me know, and I will take the link off.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=70321087708&ref=mf

I’d like to add that private land or public land, this act should not be tolerated! The guy obviously doesn’t have the frame of mind to be able to handle a firearm.

katman_iowa
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I’m not gonna post anybody’s name or info on here. If they care to PM me, I can give some info. I know better than to put that stuff in a post. It’s very difficult not to vent, but I don’t want to ruin their case against this guy who calls himself an outdoorsman.

[email protected]
    Up
    Down

Quote by: bigjake

Do not share this guys name on Iowa Outdoors. I think he is well known by members here and that is enough. Just a cautionary note to anyone who thanks they are going to play policeman here. Leave names out!

Thanks.

Bob

I have to agree with you on leaving the names out Bob. IO doesn’t need it and it’s easy enough to find out anyway. What I would like to say is “what kind of freaking moron kills a dog because it messes up his turkey hunt???” And I do mean domestic dog 😕 ; there was no way to confuse that one with a coyote.

Gung Ho, I understand your point, but this is an entirely different situation. This was completely immoral and completely unexcuseable 👿

dixson42002
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I never understood why someone would do that, i know my uncle lost a dog that way to a neighbor, but this guy didnt even live out there it sounds like. Over a couple turkeys the dog scared off, give me a break. It’s like you packing heat over at the river if a dog splashes around in the water and scares off a couple walleyes.

flyfishr
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Shooting some ones pet is a bad bad thing to do.

katman_iowa
    Participant
    Up
    Down

The dog was a Lhaso Apso, so I doubt it was confused for a ‘yote. Remember, this wasn’t the first time the guy shot that dog. He survived the first round, due to a poor shot. Basically admitted shooting it the first time and flat out told my friend he’d do it again! Is this someone you want carrying guns? I’m not too worried. He’ll get his due punishment and hopefully won’t be in business anymore. He’d be pretty brave to show his face around that part of the state. Most of the locals know what he looks like now. His website is shut down right now. Must be all the comments people are putting on it! 😆

MJT1977
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: katman_iowa

The dog was a Lhaso Apso, so I doubt it was confused for a ‘yote. Remember, this wasn’t the first time the guy shot that dog. He survived the first round, due to a poor shot. Basically admitted shooting it the first time and flat out told my friend he’d do it again! Is this someone you want carrying guns? I’m not too worried. He’ll get his due punishment and hopefully won’t be in business anymore. He’d be pretty brave to show his face around that part of the state. Most of the locals know what he looks like now. His website is shut down right now. Must be all the comments people are putting on it! 😆

I’m sorry about your buddies dog but like every story goes with a dog running loose bad things always happen. Whether like what happened in this case or simply hit by a car, point being keep your pets secure and stuff like this would never happen.

P.S. I don’t now where they get the idea the dog is a Lhaso Apso??? Looks closer to a pitbull than it does a lhaso apso. 😕

mr89ia
    Participant
    Up
    Down

in this day and age, hunters already have a bad name. i have just gotten into the sport the last couple falls, but i have seen a real reluctance when i go knock on someones door. i have had several landowners share experiences where people like this ruin it for all of us who follow the rules and respect others. clearly this guy missed that lesson. its too bad, but as long as stuff like this happens i feel like hunters will continue to have a bad rap 😕

huntercamorob
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Pets are pets until they leave the property they are domesticated on,…………………then they are not domesticated anymore,RIGHT. I don’t know the whole situation and am not claiming to. KEEP YOUR DOMESTICATED PETS DOMESTICATED and there probably wouldn’t have been a problem………..It could have been tires instead of bullets, but not if it was domesticated.!!

bowtechbandit
    Participant
    Up
    Down

sorry, but if the dog was running game, then the guide was right to shoot it. the owner should be the one being chastised, his dog was shot once for running game, and was allowed to do it again. the only thing the guide did wrong was not keeping his mouth shut.

now there ARE a few details missing in this story, mainly, who’s ground was the dog shot on? if it was the dog owner’s land, then the guide WAS in the wrong. if it was land the guide leased, public land, or someone else’s private land, then….too bad.

if your dog, or cat out “running game” any responsible hunter will most likely take them out. most cases the pet owner should be told that his pet is out running game. if he refuses to do something about it………..too bad for the dog.

thanks for the link to the guide’s site. i’m going to send him a note in support of his actions

marie_b
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: katman_iowa

I will do that. Administrators, if you don’t agree with me doing this, just let me know, and I will take the link off.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=70321087708&ref=mf

I’d like to add that private land or public land, this act should not be tolerated! The guy obviously doesn’t have the frame of mind to be able to handle a firearm.

Thanks for posting this. I joined the group. What a sweet looking dog. It’s always sad when someone loses a family pet no matter how it happens. 🙁

huntercamorob
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Wouold also like to know who’s ground the dog was shot on and also curious why the FB page has all DOMESTICATED pix on it?

pbrtim
    Participant
    Up
    Down

If you can’t keep your dog at home you can’t complain when it is shot or ran over.

marie_b
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: pbrtim

If you can’t keep your dog at home you can’t complain when it is shot or ran over.

I agree if it’s an accident, but when someone does it on purpose it’s just wrong. Pets should be allowed to run free without having to worry about somebody hunting them down.

Turin Man
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I don’t know all of the particulars for this story but I’m here to tell ‘ya that if someones dog comes on my property and I know the dog and it’s behaviors then I’ll chase it off and ask the owners to contain their critter. If I don’t know the animal or it’s behaviors then it’s gonna get whacked!

I’ve got three toddler boys that I take outside to play. I’m not gonna let one of them be the next kid you see on T.V. that got mauled by someones cute little pooch!

hacksaw
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I wouldn’t pretend to be Judge or Jury without further information. But without the dog threatening life or limb or chasing livestock, a serious error in judgement was made. Probably a career ending one. If this was private land on which he had permission then a call to the Sheriff for the nuisance should have been made. One wonders how they would react if they were the owner of the dog ?? If the owner of the dog was of the same convictions as that of the shooter perhaps a duel at Diablo could have been next. A further tragedy……… Who has never had another hunting party’s dog come over a hill and bust out the pheasants in the slough you were working? Just some thoughts.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.