Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Popped for a Traeger today. Looking for some favorite recipes. Also my wife and I don’t eat much salt. A lot of packaged rubs have tons of it. Looking for one with lower salt content. Or home brew mixes. We make a couple, but looking to expand now.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Check out “”. my masterbuilt electric smoker”. On Facebook. Lots of knowledge

Participant
    Up
    Down

I got one in July. Look on the treager website. There are loads of awesome recipes on there. Have done a few and have yet to be disappointed. Love it.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Also best cut for pulled pork. My wife and I ate at a small town bar couple weeks ago. Owner must have got a Traeger for Xmas. The special was pulled pork, and it was the best I had ever eaten. Partly because the meat was all light consistent color. Wonder if it was pork loin rather than roast. It was moist, not overly fatty great eating. Thinking about doing a loin for dinner, and pulling the rest.

Participant
    Up
    Down

any issues with Traeggers in cold temps?

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: aaronm

I have an older one with a retrofitted temp gauge that controls the flow of pellets, so that helps in the cold. I also throw an old comforter over it if I am smoking at a low temp. Wind seems to be a culprit too, so I just keep that in mind.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I have the dial temp with the temp display on it. When it gets really cold say 10 degrees out it will run about 25 degrees cooler than the setting that you put it on. So you just raise it a setting or 2 higher is all.

For pulled pork I just use pork butts. Super cheap and easy. Just make sure you cook them to high enough temp or they will not pull very easy. I use an old electric mixer to shred them and it takes all of the work out it.

Participant
    Up
    Down

The comforter trick works pretty well to keep temp up. I’ve gotten a lot of recipies and advice from the pellethead forum, as well as smoking meat forum.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: aaronm

My buddy has one at home and one at work. He said wind will mess with it some, cold not so much. I would assume you are going to have that cooking outside in the winter in a metal cooker. I was surprised how well everything fit and sealed. I just put mine together last night. Hope to cook something up this weekend.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I use the cover you can buy, just don’t use it above 40 degrees. To save on pellets, quarter your pulled pork butts for faster cook time and more season/ smoke. Family’s favorite meal off the traeger is rolled stuffed meatloaf with deli ham and provalone
    cheese. as well as baked potatoes, all done on the traeger.

You will be glad you bought it

Participant
    Up
    Down

I have had no issues with mine in cold weather, probably burn through more pellets.

I am a big fan of beer can chickens, pork butt, and ribs, with that being said I did buy a Weber grill last week, love the traegar but gas is great for steaks and brats and burgers…….well at least faster….

Participant
    Up
    Down

My buddy says the insulation covers are basically welding blankets. I have a stack of them in my shop. Going thru Dickeyville Wisc. Friday. Bucher shop there was fantastic when we use to go there on the way to Lacrosse fishing a few years ago. Going to stop and see if it is still as good as it use to be. It first got my attention when they had the cattle chute on the side of the building. They have since stopped killing there. But they still carried the best meat around. Getting pumped to get started.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Did chicken breasts and inch thick bone in chops Sat. Then pork loin and shoulder with baked beans today. The cooker seems to be seasoning, better flavor today. Would like a stronger smoke taste.. Also discovered I not a big fan of cloves in the bean recipe. Want to try again without clove, but more jalapeno. What great weather for cooking out all weekend.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I have a yoder ys640 pellet smoker and one thing you can do if you already haven’t is set your temp around 225 it will give it a more smoke flavor. Or you could try a smoke tube for additional smoke flavor. Also it’s possible to get a stronger flavord pellet like hickory or mesquite. I smoked a whole pork loin today with a mix of cherry and pecan. Turned out excellent.

When I first got it I wasn’t sure I liked the little amount smoke flavor all that much either. Now I’ve had it for about 4 months and 100 cooks on it. It’s by far the best cooker I have. I even sold my gas grill. You really should look at getting grill grates also.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.