Tire recommendations?2016-12-31T17:24:01-05:00

Home Forums Miscellaneous Love it….Hate it… Tire recommendations?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m in the market for a new set of shoes for my Ram 3500 SRW. I am very indecisive and would like to hear what has worked well for you.

I drive roughly 10k miles a year. 90% on street/highway, 10% gravel and off road. Of the 90%, roughly 1k miles a year pulling a 16k lbs 5th wheel.

I desire good tread life, decent snow/mad traction.

thanks

Participant

Quote by: firepoggy

I’m in the market for a new set of shoes for my Ram 3500 SRW. I am very indecisive and would like to hear what has worked well for you.

I drive roughly 10k miles a year. 90% on street/highway, 10% gravel and off road. Of the 90%, roughly 1k miles a year pulling a 16k lbs 5th wheel.

thanks

Both of my last two trucks, when they needed new rubber, got Yokohama Geolander A/T-S. Make sure to get the LT series (probably not an issue with a 3500 truck; when you’re buying for a 1500 a lot of places want to put P series tires on). LT’s will be 8 or 10 ply.

Both trucks, I got around 50,000 miles out of the tires. Excellent snow traction.

Participant

I just put on new tires of on my pickup and have been impressed with them so far. The guy that sold them too me was big on them and they didn’t break the bank like the big name brands. I also understand that Dodge is putting this brand on all new trucks out of the factory. I did search reviews online before I bought them and the reviews were good. I paid $161 per tire on my ford f-150 with 17 inch rims. They are the Nexen Roadian AT. Worth a look.

Participant

I don’t like noisy tires, so for my 2011 F 250 Diesel I bought BF Goodrich T/A KO2 very good in mud and QUITE I just love them. Bought at my local sears store and they are 10 ply’s. And I pull a 39 foot 5th wheel camper and they hold up just fine. I average 20,000 miles a year.

Participant

Hello: Do your research and then check with Walmart to see if they have what your looking for. Walmart has the road hazard warranty available which I always buy. It includes free flat repair, tire rotations and prorated tire replacement. I bought a set of tires for my 94 Dodge 2500 before I drove it to Alaska back in 99. I hit something on back roads near Fairbanks and ruined 2 tires. I was able to have the tires replaced for free at the Sam’s or Walmart I can’t remember which one it was in Fairbanks. The last set I bought less than a year ago, tires were less than 3 weeks old had a flat that was on the sidewall and couldn’t be repaired, it was replaced for free . I think every set of tires I have bought at least one was replaced under the road hazard . In the last month I’ve had 2 flat tires repaired. I drive a lot of gravel roads. I don’t think anyone has a better warranty. Good Luck . O – R

Participant

I do my tire research on TireRack and found that Sam’s club had the best all in price on tires that scored the highest for my Pathfinder. I went with the Pirelli Scorpian Verde +. They are a fantastic upgrade from my continentals that were stock, quiet, better handling, better fuel economy. Search your tire size on tire rack. Look at the Top 3-5 tires and check the price at Sam’sclub. October generally has the best tire prices so shop now.

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

I only buy Cooper AT3. Had 3 sets now. Last 40k miles, great snow traction, never Ben stuck in mud, and quiet on the highway.

ECFirearmsECFirearms
    Participant

Quote by: dkwolf

Quote by: firepoggy

thanks

Both of my last two trucks, when they needed new rubber, got Yokohama Geolander A/T-S. Make sure to get the LT series (probably not an issue with a 3500 truck; when you’re buying for a 1500 a lot of places want to put P series tires on). LT’s will be 8 or 10 ply.

Both trucks, I got around 50,000 miles out of the tires. Excellent snow traction.

X2 for the Yokohama Geolander A/T-S LT tires and I’ve been getting 50,000+ miles. I believe they are one of the few LT tires than anyone makes that has a tread wear warranty.
    Try looking to your local dealer and if not available then check tirerack.com or discounttiredirect.com.

“Second Amendment – Either you are helping pull the wagon, getting a free ride in the wagon, or trying to take away the wagon. Which one are you?” -- IAShooters

Participant

I have ran through two sets of Nitto Terra Grapplers with my truck so far. First set was awesome! Quiet on the highway, great mud and snow traction, I got 65,000 miles out them. 2nd set I was not as impressed with. Not sure if they changed the compound or what, but they wore quicker and got cupped. I am getting rid of those Monday of next week. I got about 45,000 out of that set. I am switching to BF Goodrich A/T K02’s. I did a LOT of research and that seems to be one of the better tires right now for an A/T. I do 90-95% highway driving, but the 5-10% that I am off road I am on level B’s or in muddy fields and I need the traction.

cowboycowboy
    Participant

Quote by: Maverick

I have ran through two sets of Nitto Terra Grapplers with my truck so far. First set was awesome! Quiet on the highway, great mud and snow traction, I got 65,000 miles out them. 2nd set I was not as impressed with. Not sure if they changed the compound or what, but they wore quicker and got cupped. I am getting rid of those Monday of next week. I got about 45,000 out of that set. I am switching to BF Goodrich A/T K02’s. I did a LOT of research and that seems to be one of the better tires right now for an A/T. I do 90-95% highway driving, but the 5-10% that I am off road I am on level B’s or in muddy fields and I need the traction.

Friend of mine sells tires, I asked him if the tires that come new on vehicles are better quality because I always got better miles out of the first set. He said no, the older your vehicle gets the more out of line, wear and tear, etc, the less miles you will get out of a set of tires. Might have something to do with what you experienced.

Participant

I’ve used Tirerack several times, and they will ship tires to any shop that you want to install. I recently had a full set for one of my cars sent to the local Ford dealer for installation. I live out in the sticks mind you, but they only charged me $25 on the road for all 4 mount/balance.

Regarding truck/pickup tires, I agree with making sure you get an LT rated model and I always go with 10 plys. If you do much off road driving in fields, pastures, etc…, the 10 plys help guarantee an old t-post, piece of iron, sharp stubble, and other pointy objects don’t cause flats. My farm/hunting/fishing truck has a set of Goodyear Fierce M/Ts, and they are loud and growly, but those things dig like he$$ and have never let me down in deep mud or snow.

Participant

If you have a Sam’s Club or some one who has a membership, I would buy there. If for no other reason then their road warranty. I prefer Michelin tires, ConsumerReports usually have them as their highest rated tires. They are quiet and wear like iron. I wait for them to go on sale and get a 70 rebate. That will cover the mounting and Sam’s tire road warranty. Sam’s will rotate your tires for free if you buy them there. Sam’s road warranty is the only one I know of that actually covers the sidewalls. I have had a daughter and a son that had sidewall damage. If they are new enough 100% replacement. Otherwise they are prorated. As I stated most tire warranties will pay out 0% on side wall damage.

Participant

On the last 3/4 ton I owned I was able to make a set of BFGoodrich AT’s last 68,000 miles. I had them rotated every 10 to 12k miles. Yes they NEEDED to be replaced before their last winter but I was very impressed with them. My last 2 trucks (1 ton DRW) Have had the stock General, Nitto and BFGoodrich AT’s. The BFGoodrich’s have performed the best as far as traction and longevity. I have the new Nexans on my current truck so we will see how these go.

Participant

Hankook dynapro at… also known as rf10…. great tire. Hold up well on gravel. Low road noise. Can’t go wrong…

Participant

I’ll throw another vote out for the Hankook DynaPro AT-m. My driving sounds very similar to the original posters. Had a set on the last truck, tires had 40k miles on them when I traded it in and they still had lots of tread left. My new Ram came with Goodyear’s, only 25k miles and I just replaced them with another set of Hankook’s. I looked at everything available and I still liked the Hankook’s enough to buy them again.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!