Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum Tips for winterizing boat

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey guys, what is the best way to winterize a 4-stroke outboard? Also, are the fuel stabilization products really necessary? I store my boat in a non-heated but enclosed Astro shed so it is out of the elements. My garden tractor and generator always start with old gas and no “Sta-bil” so just wondering if I should expect anything different with the OB. Also, are there any drain plugs I should open up to ensure there isn’t any water in the lower unit to freeze?

Thank you in advance!

Participant

I can tell you that all the marinas that servcie engines always put stabill or some type of gas treatment. It will keep you gas from getting crappy. It also cleans the engine to prevent varnish from fouling. In fact, they will run the stabill through the engine, after draining all the oil and adding new filter. The lower unit needs to be addressed to. They will pull the plug and make sure no water has entered the engine that could freeze and damage the motor. These are the main items. However, the marinas wil also luibricate various spindles, etc. What size motor do you have? I just took my motor to have it sericed. I just like knowing that when I take it out in the spring it will fire up and the motor will not be damaged.

Money spent on maintenace is not wasted. It will avoid frustration come boating season. My suggestion: go to You tube and watch some do it yourself videos. Mercury marine has some great videos and so does Honda.

If your not good with mechanical stuff you may want to dole out about 100.00 dollars and let the trained marine mechanic do the job. It is money well spent. Just my 2 cents. robbie. Whatever you do, dont let it wait. Guy I knew neglected his engine and it cost him 3-4,000 dollars in engine malfunction. He pushed the limits and it frozzze.

Participant

I appreciate the feedback Robbie. I am weighing the pros and cons of doing the maintenance myself or trailering the boat 40 miles minimum to have it done professionally. The motor is a 2014 Mercury 60hp, and does not seem too formidable. Thank you for the nod on the YouTube videos as well.

oldstylelightoldstylelight
    Participant

I do not “winterize” my outboards. I use them every month if we have halfway decent weather and open boat ramps on the miss.

I do..

1. seafoam in the gas never hurts.
    2. Check lower unit oil for signs of water, drain & replace as necessary.
    3. Lower your outboard on trailer to drain out water that may be in it.
    4. park it and hope for more mild days this winter to use it!

oldstylelightoldstylelight
    Participant

oil may need changed in your 4 stroke as well and now would be a good time to do it.

and by the way, I am not mechanically inclined, but these are very simple if you have an hour to do it all.

Participant

Oldstylelight,
    Probably not directly on topic, but thought I’d ask. You mention Seafoam in your boat gas. I have heard a few times that Seafoam is good stuff, but never really inquired or asked of someone that really knows engines. Is it really that good? And what types of equipment is it effective and helpful on? First I heard of boat motors though. Mowers, tractors, chainsaws, blowers, snowblowers? Others?

Thanks. Been a curiosity of mine for some time.

riverriver
    Participant

Quote by: Mengo

Oldstylelight,
    Probably not directly on topic, but thought I’d ask. You mention Seafoam in your boat gas. I have heard a few times that Seafoam is good stuff, but never really inquired or asked of someone that really knows engines. Is it really that good? And what types of equipment is it effective and helpful on? First I heard of boat motors though. Mowers, tractors, chainsaws, blowers, snowblowers? Others?

Thanks. Been a curiosity of mine for some time.

I’m a big fan of SeaFoam / Stabil. I use it in my 25hp Evinrude Etec and all my small engines because they get sporadic use and today’s gas blends “spoil” rather quickly. Been using SeaFoam for many years and it has helped eliminate fuel related problems. That said, engine maintenance always pays off.

River

Participant

x2 on Seafoam. I use it on my farm truck about every other oil change. With the truck running pull of master cylinder vacuum line and pour it in direct until the motor stalls out. re-seat vacuum line, let sit for 15 minutes and start her back up. Does a nice job loosening carbon deposits on the topside of your motor.

*EDIT* Make sure you do this outside, because it will smoke like a bugger for a while!

Thanks for feedback on the OB too. I will trim it down and pull out the manual and service it in the shed this winter.

Participant

Seafoam is great stuff. A buddy had an outboard ( which I later acquired) and it was running like trash. I said he should dump some seafoam in the gas, we did and went fishing. The motor was running terribly to start the day, after a few good shakes of the gas tank and letting it run for a while the motor was running like a top later in the day. It was cutting out and not wanting to open up to start and by the end of the day it was howling at full throttle like a new motor.

Participant

So my Nitro has oil injection. My first season with a boat. Do I put seafoam in the tank?

Participant

Change engine oil, change lower unit oil. Make sure ALL water is out of everything. Run livewell while out of the water. Add seafoam. I know multiple guys that fish professional tournaments that add seafoam to every tank of gas through the entire season.

riverriver
    Participant

Quote by: mhock

So my Nitro has oil injection. My first season with a boat. Do I put seafoam in the tank?

Fuel tank – yes. Just follow the recommended instructions on the label. Oil reservoir – no.

River

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.