Time to switch tactics2019-01-08T08:07:04-05:00

Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting Time to switch tactics

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

The past few times going calling for me has been like throwing a keg party but no body showing up. Its come to a screeching halt. We called in 28 coyotes and one cat so far this year which has been the best we ever done since the beginning of my calling career. Looking back on the notes, the first two weeks in January are mostly the same… nothing, zilch,nada… For some reason which I am not seeing , this time of year till almost the end of Jan I cant convince a coyote that Im a dying rabbit or a woodpecker or even a sexy female looking for a mate. Its like they are non existent. We gained some more  land to call on but being new its all trial and error because we havent been able to see the lay of the land before setting up. I guess this would be a real good reason why you should acquire permission early in the season or before. Im open for suggestions here from anyone whos ever been in a slump. Something has got to work out there but I am just not seeing it.

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

I’ve had the same conversation about this time of year, usually the second and third week of january it seems for me, but not much seems to work.  The first week of january my log has plenty of plain jane rabbit distress hand call coyotes, then two weeks of not much, then that last week of the month, often the last weekend, I have things break loose and my calling log has an assortment of stuff that’s worked, distress, howls, etc.

In those conversations the theory of male coyotes locking down to their mate coming into heat has come up, similar to how bucks lock down on does.  It has merit.  But there are transient coyotes out there also, so who knows.  But you’re not the only one that has noticed a January lull.  maybe it’s started earlier this year.  I’ve only done 2 stands this year.  One I had something work around behind me, no idea what it was.  I was calling in the timber and I could hear something moving through the brush, smaller than a deer, but never worked around where I could see it (I’m wondering fox, since I’ve seen more fox on the trail camera than about anything in this area).  On the other stand I did a 4 wheeler came riding through the area on the neighbors and setup a target and started plinking.  Some zero degree temps would stop that LOL.  😉  But that’s to be expected when calling on a weekend and it’s 50 degrees.

Good luck and grind it out.  The end of the kitty season is nearing, could always target them.  Often times proximity to a cat is more important than anything.  If you have an area of cover that likely holds a cat that you can call from different sides, make a few stands, saturate it with sound over a couple/few hours, one of the stands might have the proximity to shake a cat loose and get another called kitty.  Or if you have spots close to town, calling around old farm steads, abandon buildings, blow downs, dozer piles, etc, might call in a fox.  Maybe neither you’d want to shoot, but would make good photography.  Just thinking out loud, maybe something to try as a change up if you feel like you’re in a coyote calling rut?

Participant

Well skruffy,the cat calling thing sounds like a possible plan. Either that or hope for some ice on the pond this weekend and try a little ice fishing. You know, being in a rut is like a 6 year old kid playing right field in little league . He may not have a ball come his way in the game or the next one and when it does… he wont be prepared…. LOL  Looking forward to it

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!