Time to apply for Wyoming Elk Tag2018-12-31T14:39:52-05:00

Home Forums Hunting General Hunting Time to apply for Wyoming Elk Tag

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

It is the eve before the non-resident elk application period begins. You have the month of January to apply. Wyoming Game and Fish website offers a hunt planner app to make it easier. Good luck and may the tag goddess smile on you.

Whip

Participant

Any suggestions on what  to do with 8 points ?

WhipWhip
    Participant

Lots of homework with that many points for elk you should draw. I know personally what area but as a non-resident your stuck with finding a guide also for the wilderness areas. You should have a great hunt. If it was me I would hire an outfitter for one of the covetted private land areas or hard to draw wilderness units.

Whip

Participant

Do you know when the application period for points opens? I have 6 currently.  I missed getting one last year so I really need to get one this year so I don’t lose them all.

I have one for CO also.  Next fall is out for me. I have one more year of coaching football and then the boys are onto school ball so I can get out.

Participant

Application for points is July 1 thru October 31.

WhipWhip
    Participant

Teton personally I like the absaroka mnts. Greybull river area but it’s near my home.  Down side is lots of Grizzly bears and mostly wilderness. Up side limited tags and every year it produces some great bulls and I know the area.

The Big Horns have better access more roads but with that more hunters. Find a nasty canyon with no vehicle access and so steep most guys won’t take a horse and you will find elk. Getting it out may be difficult.

The wilderness south of Yellowstone (Thorofare) has elk but it’s big country you need horses and time. I would hire an outfitter if you don’t have horses.

Private land near Laramie Peak produces some tremendous bulls but access is difficult to impossible from what I hear. I fought fire there and saw some great bulls 15 years ago.

The Red Desert area used to produce huge bulls but I haven’t heard much lately. It has good public access.

That big fire north of pinedale on the Hoback may be a real sleeper area. All the new grass should produce some big elk in the next couple of years.

That’s my thoughts they get some big elk all over the state due to a more conservative harvest management of bull elk. Good luck!

Whip

Participant

Whip, thanks for all of the info. I have a few weeks to decide what works best for me.

WhipWhip
    Participant

The deadline to apply to Jan 31st so if your thinking about it time to act. Teton what did you decide?

Whip

Participant

Hey Whip, still doing my homework. I talked to a rancher today who has a ranch that produces some really nice bulls but that comes with a healthy access fee.  Got 4 more days to decide.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 4 weeks ago by Avatar teton.
    WhipWhip
    Participant

I understand and if it was me I would certainly consider the additional cost. By the time you get everything together camp gear etc, take an additional trip to scout, buy additional needed gear, and hope you will find a hole without competition the ranch option can be a good one. For antelope not worth it normally, deer maybe depending on the size of deer you want but for elk it’s a much better option. I’m planning a trip to Alaska to do some fishing and will definitely invest in a guide.

Whip

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!