Home Forums Fishing Walleye Fishing Throw them BACK!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Im sure if happens everywhere, but there are some of the same guys coming to Greene to fish the Shell Rock and keeping little fish. Im talking 13-15″ skinny little walleyes. They are not the only ones, but have been around and seen it happen. Why doesnt the DNR slot these small rivers too?

bowfisherbowfisher
    Participant

Oh Boy…..

Participant

Quote by: TJHIA84

Why doesnt the DNR slot these small rivers too?

You really need to ask the folks that make policy at the DNR. Perhaps they have a better perspective than the average fisherman in regards to slot limits as they relate to rivers such as the Shell Rock river.

Participant

Good candidates for my pond, and yes, they survive well, get caught many times again, and the neighbor kids truly enjoy catching them.
    Rod

Participant

Im sure if happens everywhere, but there are some of the same guys coming to Greene to fish the Shell Rock and keeping little fish. Im talking 13-15″ skinny little walleyes. They are not the only ones, but have been around and seen it happen. Why doesnt the DNR slot these small rivers too?

Happens everywhere. Broken record.

FWIW 15″ is a keeper in my book but that is the smallest Id keep. keeping 13″ fish is ridiculous but its legal so what are you going to do? The DNR sees the interior rivers as put and take fisheries.

Participant

slot limits wont work on smaller fish slot limits help build up numbers in that slot size. those 13 to 15 inch walleyes are also probably males so it has little effect to your spawn you are worried about. i do not agree with keeping 13 inch walleyes but 15 inch walleyes are keepers in almost anyones mind. it does more harm to keep say 20+ inch eyes then it does the smaller ones and there is proof to that! That being said i agree that people should be throwing back the 13 inchers.

Participant

Quote by: Fishinforlife

slot limits wont work on smaller fish slot limits help build up numbers in that slot size. those 13 to 15 inch walleyes are also probably males so it has little effect to your spawn you are worried about. i do not agree with keeping 13 inch walleyes but 15 inch walleyes are keepers in almost anyones mind. it does more harm to keep say 20+ inch eyes then it does the smaller ones and there is proof to that! That being said i agree that people should be throwing back the 13 inchers.

For interior rivers the spawn is irrelevant as they success rate of walleye reproduction is not enough to sustain a population(according to the DNR anyway). Only reason to set length restrictions is to improve overall quality of the fish. Let them grow!

Participant

They paid for their license the same as you and me.
    You can’t control what other people do.
    Maybe we should all just mind our own business unless they are breaking the law then call the CO.
    JMO

Participant

Quote by: Bob+Er

The DNR sees the interior rivers as put and take fisheries.

Bingo.

Also if you even want to think of walleye as naturally reproducing significantly in our rivers (a stretch), I’d much rather folks keep the 13-15 inchers and 24+ inchers than a stringer full of 17-22” fish.

Maybe we should have a thread on here called “suggestion box”. At the end of the year we print it out and send it to all our reps. That way someone who can do something about it will see it, not just start another ethical debate that’s been hashed out on here hundreds of times.

Also FWIW, granted it has been years, but I used to live up that way and fish around there a lot. Maybe a few years has changed things but at that time the fishing seemed to remain okay despite a relatively heavy harvest. Guys hammer the ‘eyes up there and since the dawn of time folks have been keeping stringers of 13″ eyes. Somehow they aren’t extinct yet…

Participant

Quote by: walleye1967

They paid for their license the same as you and me.
    You can’t control what other people do.
    Maybe we should all just mind our own business unless they are breaking the law then call the CO.
    JMO

I didn’t see anything suggesting the OP or anyone else was not minding there own business. The OP is just suggesting a law change to improve fishing. Obviously this topic is a horse that has been beaten to death but don’t think its a bad discussion. I share his frustration about people keeping small fish and wish they would put some size restrictions on the interior rivers. FWIW, just because its legal, doesn’t make it right. Who knows, with improved laws with conservation in mind, Iowa could turn into a great walleye state rather just an OK one.

Participant

little fish get larger. release and enjoy next year. yeah! 🙄

Participant

I’m pretty sure we don’t have walleyes in Iowa.

Participant

Quote by: Will999

There are days that I have thought that very thing 😀

Participant

Quote by: Brad+Phillips

Quote by: Will999

There are days that I have thought that very thing 😀

I’ve thought that this very SPRING.

Participant

Why is it that I can catch 20 plus 13″ eyes for every 15″er and release all of them thinking next year they will be keepers. Next year comes and its the same ratio, I changed my thoughts on eaters, I found that the one time a year I keep about 3 fish to eat I prefer the 13″. Fry up evenly and quickly and fit perfectly in my pan.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.