Home Forums Fishing Ice Fishing Three Mile lake (Beginner Here)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I am from the Des Moines area and am thinkin about hitting 3 mile lake this weekend.

A couple of questions as I have never been there or ice fished.

What is a good side of the lake to be on? If anyone would like to give any other tips that would be great, I did pull up the DNR structure map and that should get me started.

Seems like a pretty deep lake do you think that the Ice would be safe by Saturday?

I have heard there are a lot of yellow bass in there and since this is my first time out I am looking to catch a lot of fish. Isn’t everyone LOL

Also might try for a few Walleye.

Can anyone suggest some rigs to use for both the yellows and walleye?

Any other suggestions other than the usual Big Creek?

Thanks in advance for the advice I sure do appreciate it. 😀

Participant
    Up
    Down

You might be pushing it with southern Iowa lakes, especially those with standing timber like 3 Mile, for this weekend. They’ve only started freezing over Saturday night/Sunday morning.

bigbuck31ptbigbuck31pt
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I’d surprised if anyone is ice fishing on 3 Mile yet. I know it’s only Tuesday but I’m sure it was open water just last week-end.

"In The Wind He's Still Alive" RIP Scott Ferris

Participant
    Up
    Down

Do you think that Big Creek will be fishable then?

Participant
    Up
    Down

Last I read was that as of last night the main lake had locked up but lost lake was still had open water. Maybe a few coves might be safe on the main lake. I’m thinking next weekend will be the true start of hard water fishing with anglers safely hitting the ice all over, especially north of 80.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Ice just came on 3 mile and 12 mile last night. Wind was keeping main part of lake open. Don’t think it’s safe yet. Normaly Ranger Joe will post on here when it’s safe.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.