Home Forums Fishing Ice Fishing This week

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Looks like a warm up of 40s for three days. Will that taint the ice bad enough to make it unsafe?

Participant

Shouldn’t to much.ice is thick enough here in central iowa. (Past weekend 9 to 12+)and the lows at night are still freezing.

Participant

Ice will be just fine. It will need to take 2 weeks of 50s to destroy it. If you feel uncomfortable use a spud bar and picks! Central iowa ice ranging from 9 to 14.

Participant

Shouldn’t do anything major to the ice. Now if we get a bunch of rain with it, that could do some damage.

Participant

It is suppose to stay below freezing at night so it shouldn’t affect to one bit.

WidowmakerWidowmaker
    Participant

If the long range forecast is to be believed, we could be ice fishing well into February.

Participant

Quote by: Widowmaker

If the long range forecast is to be believed, we could be ice fishing well into February.

Amen to that! Ive done some of my best ice fishing well into March.

Participant

Has anyone had experience with warmer temps that the bite slows way down? Went out Sunday and was like dead. PAst three weeks we did very well for the bluegill, then it just was terrible bite. Wonder if the barmoter is not set for couple days if it throws off thei bite? Robbie

Participant

Quote by: rericsson

Has anyone had experience with warmer temps that the bite slows way down? Went out Sunday and was like dead. PAst three weeks we did very well for the bluegill, then it just was terrible bite. Wonder if the barmoter is not set for couple days if it throws off thei bite? Robbie

I have had the opposite I always remember having good trips out when it is warm.

Participant

Quote by: rericsson

It has more to do with changes in air pressure than temperature. Typically as low pressure moves towards your location, the bite should be decent. The pressure on the ice is less and the fish can sense that. Once the pressure has moved by and starts to increase, which literally means the pressure on the ice is increasing, the fish usually take a day or two to adjust. Temps can change either way with these pressure changes, but that usually isn’t what is affecting the fish.

hotrodhotrod
    Participant

This little warm trend won’t hurt the ice too much. Will melt the snow and make things sloppy though.

I was near Des Moines on Sunday and the bite was really strong. Each body of water can vary a lot from day to day.

Participant

Quote by: hotrod

This little warm trend won’t hurt the ice too much. Will melt the snow and make things sloppy though.

I was near Des Moines on Sunday and the bite was really strong. Each body of water can vary a lot from day to day.

I fished Sunday night for a few hours and it was slow. We were west of Des Moines.

Wont lie I don’t ice fish as much as I used to and this was the first time out. My line was pretty bad so I think that had a lot to do with it. The kids really enjoy it so I went to Scheels on Monday and bought some new stuff and redid all the line on the rods.

We should be set for this weekend.

Participant

What its gona do is make the ice slippery especially if the wind is calm when it refreezes .

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.