Thinking about trapping 2018-11-14T17:52:04+00:00

Home Forums Trapping / Fur Handling Trapping Thinking about trapping

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

So I’m thinking about starting to trap coons, I bought a couple #1 Duke foothold traps just to see how it goes. Was wonder if it is legal to set them in a roadside ditch alone a dirt road. There are a couple small creeks that have lots of coons prints all over. Would I just set them right on the top of the ground and maybe cover them up with some grass or dig into the ground a little bit and set them right at ground level?

Brad Phillips
    Participant

Market is down, which is a good time to mess around and learn how to trap. With footholds, pocket sets are your best bet. Either fish or commercial bait.

Smear sets, and blind sets also are pretty popular with footholds. Trapping forums, Utube, or trapping books will help quite a bit.

Iowa trapperstalk has quite a bit of good info.

KeokukCounty
    Participant

Hey Brad the smear set Im not familiar with can you elaborate… Thanks

Brad Phillips
    Participant

Sticky bait smeared on vertical structure, like a bridge wall or rock.  Can also shave some banks, structure should be tall enough that the coon can’t work it from above.

Could also blind set where coon enter the water. Like the ends of a sand bar or the corners of bridges and tubes.

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

You could pick up some DP’s (dog proof’s) also.  I got the itch yesterday and set a half dozen.  They’re easy and quick to set and bait.  You can attach a longer cable to them to anchor by looping around trees and such.  Or stake them with a regular length cable to set along trails where there aren’t small trees (which is what I did yesterday).  I picked up the DP setting tool from FNT along with some DP bait.  I use a mix of Duke and ztrap DP’s.  The ztraps are much nicer but the dukes work.

Good luck!

bhilligas
    Participant

Just set out a DP out Saturday night after seeing a few coons on my new trail cam over a week. Caught a big Male that night

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

Awesome!!!  Can’t beat success!  🙂

stick500stick500
    Participant

just curious, what are coon skins going for these days?

bhilligas
    Participant

Do you guys salt the hides right after fleshing and putting it on the stretcher? I plan on tanning them myself.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.