Home Forums Hunting Firearms the best hi-power

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

i want a do all gun!!!! what does everyone think the best round is???
    I have read the 30.06 is the best, but what about the 308 and the 338 win mag????
    i would like to hear everyones opions!!!! thanks

wallybanger101
    Participant
    Up
    Down

My vote is with the .308

kenhump
    Participant
    Up
    Down

If I were never planning to set foot outside the lower 48, I’d vote Rem 7mm mag.
    If I were looking for coverage for all of North America, the .338 would get the nod.
    About 25 years ago I dressed a 300+ pound brown in NW Washington state. Killed absolutely
    dead at around 100yds I believe with a .338 mag. Hit the left shoulder socket quartering
    toward the right rear at about a 45 degree angle. Bullet expanded inside the socket
    and turned the heart and part of the right lung to mush. The young man the shot it said ,
    “it just fell over”. It was Fall and the bear was heavy with fat. Impressive kill.

BIG WORM
    Participant
    Up
    Down

im looking for a gun that will shoot everything in north america without losing long range????
    is that possiable??? i am leaning on a 338 win mag… good idea???? 🙄 🙄 😕 😕

BIG WORM
    Participant
    Up
    Down

the 308 is what most guides say??????

kenhump
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I would not recommend .308 for Alaskan brown ot white bears. Not saying you can’t stop one with .308, but I won’t be trying it. 😉

BIG WORM
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: kenhump

I would not recommend .308 for Alaskan brown ot white bears. Not saying you can’t stop one with .308, but I won’t be trying it. 😉

what would you recommend???
    what would you buy if you wanted one hi-powered????

kenhump
    Participant
    Up
    Down

.338 mag or a Marlin 1894 lever in .41mag. :mrgreen:

vanderwell07
    Participant
    Up
    Down

300 Win Mag. Hands Down…

zsawyer
    Participant
    Up
    Down

300 win mag gets another vote here

motocrazy2006
    Participant
    Up
    Down

i would say 308, 300 win mag… both are capable of 1000yd shots accuratly.. wat the military uses as smaller caliber sniper weapons… besides the 50… they use to use the 30.06…

if u wanna spend the money.. i would say 338 Laupa Mag 🙂

http://www.98bravo.com

monsterboy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

50 cal would kill anything on the map!

crowkiller
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I have to go with the 30-06. I know it is way cheaper to shoot than a 7mm and it will kill anything in north america. I shot a deer during the late antlerless season with a 30-06 and hit through the heart. dropped the deer where she stood but anything will do that when you destroy the heart 😀

flyfishr
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: BIG+WORM

im looking for a gun that will shoot everything in north america without losing long range????

50 cal bmg would probably do it

But I’m partial to the old 45/70

crowkiller
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: flyfishr

Quote by: BIG+WORM

50 cal bmg would probably do it

But I’m partial to the old 45/70

Is it hard to find ammo for a 45/70 and is it expensive. Sounds like a cool gun 😀

chucky
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I have two 300 win mags and one 30-06 and the one in a encore barrel that is for sale. I like the 300 win mag personally but realistically its what person can handle and place a shot with. To me that is inside 300 yards and I don’t think that is a big issue with these two calibers, the 308 is a great round and you wouldn’t go wrong with it either. Oh yeah the 338-06 is good too.

flyfishr
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: crowkiller

Is it hard to find ammo for a 45/70 and is it expensive. Sounds like a cool gun 😀

The mild 300gr factory loads can be easily found at most larger chain stores and certainly at Bass Pro, Cabela’s, Scheels and local gun shops. It will run between $29 to $35 for a box of 20. The heavier loads run from $35 on up to $70 for a box of 20.

I haven’t bought any factory ammo for quite along while. The last that I bought was $18 for a box of 20, but I save all of my brass as I reload my own.

cjhodgso
    Participant
    Up
    Down

300 win mag or 300 win short mag. Both are great guns and the 300 WSM bullets are cheaper. I hunt wih a buddy for elk every year and he shoots the 30 06 and lacks the range I have with my 300 mag or 300 WSM.

BIG WORM
    Participant
    Up
    Down

sounds like a 300 win mag is the gun to get… any other thoughts???? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

nlar
    Participant
    Up
    Down

30.06, still the best all around caliber after all these years, lots of other calibers that do the job but are more animal specific in my opinion. You can down grade your shells to shoot coyotes and go up to shoot a moose, and everything in between.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.