Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum The Annual Iowa Sucker Bite Watch

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I know this question gets asked just about every year, so here we go.

Any reports of sucker bites would be greatly appreciated. Not looking for any personal honey holes, just some general tips on where and when the mighty suckers start hammering worms.

I love C&Ring a hot sucker bite, as well as keeping a couple chunkers for spring cat fishing. Caught some of my biggest cats on suckers.

I know some of you guys like pickling them, too.

Thanks in advance for any info! Spring is here today!!!

Participant

I would break out the night crawlers right now. I am guessing any creek mouth would be dynamite. I have one creek mouth that I can hit in the spring and hammer them. Half a worm on an 12-18″ leader with enough weight to stay in the eddy, probably 1/4 oz.

Participant

I’ve heard of pickling, but you think a guy could smoke some?

Participant

I’ve been catching a few (3 different species) in creek mouths for over a month. Haven’t hit a real “hot bite”..

Participant

caught half a dozen over here in the miss river yesterday. all about 16-20″. beautiful fish and fight really well. was after walleye but had fun still.

stick500stick500
    Participant

Quote by: mskursh

caught half a dozen over here in the miss river yesterday. all about 16-20″. beautiful fish and fight really well. was after walleye but had fun still.

worms on a jig?

or minnows?

Sounds like I have to get out to the dam in Dubuque (O’Learys Lake) quick!

Participant

hitting orange twister tails and believe it or not rat l traps.

stick500stick500
    Participant

aggressive suckers!! 😯

stick500stick500
    Participant

Caught a couple of fat ones in the Little Maquoketa near DBQ on worms yesterday. I think there were more in there, too.

Participant

Turkey season in the late ’80’s, Lower Dam on the upper Iowa river. During a mid-day drive, we happen to drive into the lower dam. There were people catching and hauling buckets of Redhorse up the bank to the parking lot. To be ground and made into Sucker patties.

Permanently etched into my memory 😀 We were actually hunting out of a house boat in Lansing, along with roaming everywhere else 😀 😀 😀 This was before I was able to drink, so we had to run to Bagley Wis. to get me into a bar….

Participant

Quote by: speng5

I’ve heard of pickling, but you think a guy could smoke some?

Growing up in Minnesota we would always look forward to the spring sucker run in our lake as we could spear them. ALWAYS smoked them and they were fantastic!! Can do the same with carp or most fish for that matter.

stick500stick500
    Participant

Quote by: Brad+Phillips

Turkey season in the late ’80’s, Lower Dam on the upper Iowa river.

where is the lower dam on the Upper Iowa?

I am going to be traveling through Decorah on Saturday

EDIT: I found it!!

stick500stick500
    Participant

and the suckers are big and plentiful at Lower Dam Decorah

looked way too snaggy and swift right at dam so I went downstream a ways and was catching them on the bottom just out of the current with crawlers

thanks for the tip!

BTW, the cats weren’t biting yet on fresh cut sucker on the Turkey (Millville) on my way home

Participant

Glad you had a good day to fish. That is a neat place.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.