Home Forums Fishing Fly Fishing Tenkara Rod

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Does anyone here own/use a Tenkara rod? I am contemplating buying one. I only trout fish once/twice a year but it looks like it could be fun for panfish in a pond as well. Not to mention easy to throw in a bag whenever you go somewhere on vacation incase you happen to find yourself near a trout stream. Let me know your thoughts and if they are worth the money.

Thanks!

Participant

I’ve been contemplating one for a while. I’ll probably end up getting one. I’m trying to decide between one of those or a recurve. I don’t need either one, but since when has that been a thing? I’m leaning towards a Tenkara Rod Co. Sawtooth if I end up with one. I don’t trout fish all that often, but I do enjoy panfishing enough I think it would get plenty of use.

Participant

I used to do lots of tenkara. Perfect for our trout stream though I never chased warm water fishes I know many who have and still do.

Participant

I got one about five years ago. They are easy to learn and can be fun for cold water and warm water fishing. Several friends and I, however, that started at conventional fly fishing realized that we got tired of Tenkara after a while and prefer regular fly fishing. But give Tenkara a try. It is pretty simple and relatively cheap to get started. All you need to start is a rod, a line, some tippet, and a few flies.
    David

Participant

Quote by: DGorman

I’ve been contemplating one for a while. I’ll probably end up getting one. I’m trying to decide between one of those or a recurve. I don’t need either one, but since when has that been a thing? I’m leaning towards a Tenkara Rod Co. Sawtooth if I end up with one. I don’t trout fish all that often, but I do enjoy panfishing enough I think it would get plenty of use.

I’m torn between the Sawtooth and the Teton. Sawtooth looks fun but wondering how it would fair against big Ol’ bull bluegill or the occasional bass that might take the fly on a pond.

Participant

Quote by: Maverick

I’m torn between the Sawtooth and the Teton. Sawtooth looks fun but wondering how it would fair against big Ol’ bull bluegill or the occasional bass that might take the fly on a pond.

I debated that one for a while as well. I figure I do the majority of my fishing with an ultralight because I enjoy it more, so I would maybe prefer a lighter rod in this case as well.

Also, I’m sending you a pm.

Participant

I have one and lost count of the fish I have eaten because of that rod!

Participant

Quote by: Maverick

I debated that one for a while as well. I figure I do the majority of my fishing with an ultralight because I enjoy it more, so I would maybe prefer a lighter rod in this case as well.

Also, I’m sending you a pm.

PM replied

Participant

if you get too big of a trout on don’t you just throw the rod into the water and chase it?

Participant

I ended up getting the Sawtooth. I had the chance to take it out for about an hour tonight for my first go. I ended up with two fish on, so at least I didn’t get skunked.
    First was a small bluegill about 8 inches long.

Second was a largemouth that went about 11 and change.

I think I’m going to enjoy this setup. That little bass had this thing bent pretty good. I can’t wait to get it to the trout stream.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.