Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Taxidermy timing

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Just venting a bit, but would like some other opinions. I took my deer from last fall to a new shop that is a bait/tackle store and offers taxidermy as well. Younger couple getting started and I wanted to support their efforts. I was told when I dropped off (Nov 7th) that it would be about 6 months. I thought that a bit long, but decided I was fine with it. So, Sunday night I pulled my receipt and on it, it also states a 6 month timing, so I sent an email asking about status. I rec’d an email back informing me that they were done with their other stuff and getting ready to start on deer in the next couple weeks. When I referenced the timing, I was now told it is a 6-12 month window. Just feeling like I may have made a mistake since I have heard of others getting their deer back from the guy I usually go with (Rick Adams) a couple months ago.

These folks have been nice, it’s not like they are jerking me around, but I don’t feel that the timing is living up to what I was told and that irks me a little bit. Kind of excited to get the deer back and now I’ll be waiting a couple more months it appears.

bigbuckhunter88
    Participant
    Up
    Down

6 months seems awfully short. I expect mine to usually take a year or so. Depends how many deer and other critters th dry had before mine. But that is also what I was told so it doesn’t bother me.

Coonsqualler
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I had one taxi tell me 6 months and i was happy to get it back that fast. Now he’s got so much business he is quoting one year which seemed a bit long to me. I would say 6-12 months is about the best you will do on turn around time. Just from my experience.

fastfreddy16
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I had my taxi tell me it would take a year. It took a year and a half. As long as they do good work I’m okay with the wait. I know your excited about getting it back but he’s trying his best to get mounts out the door. Think of it this way, the more mounts he gets out the door the more money he would technically make too!

FF

aaronm
    Participant
    Up
    Down

6-12 months is pretty standard, it all depends on when you shot it (first deer of the year will get done sooner), where you shot it ( I would guess taxis in deer heavy locations are more busy). I shot a deer the first weekend of bow season and had it back in late December because I was first on the list and not many deer go to the taxi in NW Iowa so he had last years mounts already done. Then there have been times I used that same guy and he took 6 months to complete because I was in the middle of the pack on the waiting list.

OP, I would ask the taxi if they could let you know when they start on your deer just to give you a heads up. Again the first timeframe was fine, but once you start getting extended time frames I would worry a bit. Seems like these kind of taxi stories never end well, hopefully this one does. Kudos to you for helping out a new business, but remember sometimes there are some serious learning curves for them and that relates to extended finish dates for clients. Stay in communication with them and precede as you see fit.

maxx
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I get it you want it back and it sucks waiting that long.

I shot an mule deer late in the year and tried a new guy. It took 10 months. I was frustrated waiting until I got it back and saw how good it was. I will never use another guy he is that good. I really don’t mind waiting.

The next one I had mounted took 6 months but he was shot earlier in the year. I had two done this year that took 3 months they were shot real early.

bigA
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I’m all for waiting for a quality product, that doesn’t concern me. I guess the timing isn’t that bad when compared to others. Guess I got spoiled by Rick and his quality AND quick turnaround. Funny story is that I was on a plane next to a guy back in March when he opened his laptop and up popped a pic of a big buck. That got us to talking and he took his deer (shot a week after mine) and had already got it back from Rick. Rick does a ton of deer, but I think he also stopped doing other animals to just focus on deer, so that may make him more efficient with his time.

IAtaxidermist
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Speeking for myself. Lots of circumstances that can extend turn around times for different species. Fish I don’t like to paint in winter because of ventilation reasons. Fall and winter time can be spent more in taking in critters and prepping them for the tannery. We never know how much game is going to come in. The more deer heads we take in in the fall that all need attention immediately slows down everyone’s turnaround. Then you have the guy that has no patience blowing up your phone in which you decide to take on his project just so he’ll be quiet in return making a longer turn around for the guys with patience. Turn around times are nothing more than a estimate for me
    . Ever tried to wait for skin to dry? Sometimes it takes 3 days other times it takes 3 weeks. Getting things back from the tannery can take up to 150 days. Lots of Projects ranging from Perch to Bison. Balancing quite a few custemors. Everything about this business is custom….no mass production. Take all those things then put yourself in a taxidermist shoes and then try to look a custemor in the face and let them know when its going to be done. I have to tell the custemor something though.

I wouldn’t let a couple months eat at ya 😉 Its the guys that spin deer heads in 1-3 months chargeing under 350-400$ I’d be a little concerned about. Most time the work looks like junk and is not nessessarily properly tanned.

bigA
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: IAtaxidermist

Speeking for myself. Lots of circumstances that can extend turn around times for different species. Fish I don’t like to paint in winter because of ventilation reasons. Fall and winter time can be spent more in taking in critters and prepping them for the tannery. We never know how much game is going to come in. The more deer heads we take in in the fall that all need attention immediately slows down everyone’s turnaround. Then you have the guy that has no patience blowing up your phone in which you decide to take on his project just so he’ll be quiet in return making a longer turn around for the guys with patience. Turn around times are nothing more than a estimate for me
    . Ever tried to wait for skin to dry? Sometimes it takes 3 days other times it takes 3 weeks. Getting things back from the tannery can take up to 150 days. Lots of Projects ranging from Perch to Bison. Balancing quite a few custemors. Everything about this business is custom….no mass production. Take all those things then put yourself in a taxidermist shoes and then try to look a custemor in the face and let them know when its going to be done. I have to tell the custemor something though.

I wouldn’t let a couple months eat at ya 😉 Its the guys that spin deer heads in 1-3 months chargeing under 350-400$ I’d be a little concerned about. Most time the work looks like junk and is not nessessarily properly tanned.

Good input, thanks. I’m sure I will be just as excited in a couple months as I am now. I’d rather have it look good than just get it fast.

northwoodsbucks
    Participant
    Up
    Down

6-12 months is very reasonable, its just to bad he told you six to begin with. Being new he likely estimated his productivity too optimistically, I see that a lot in all businesses.

speng5
    Participant
    Up
    Down

His original 6 month estimate does seem real quick and maybe a touch unrealistic (which it looks like you are finding out). What would worry me more than a long or a short timeline, is a sliding timeline. He’s told you 6 months, and then now it is an additional 6 to 12 months. I sure hope in another 6+ months he doesn’t tell you it will be ANOTHER 6-12 months, etc. You hear of that happening sometimes, before you know it 20+ months have passed since the day you brought it in…

TeamAsgrow
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Just hope you get back a good mount…

Anonymous
    Up
    Down

Mine takes a year and he does an excellent job. I would not want them to rush it. I think if they were just getting started they might have underestimated the level of effort and amount of time it takes. No problem waiting a year for mounts. most I think are about that. in fact last year I came in and picked up the mount of the largest buck i had ever shot to date, the crazy part was I was dropping off my new personal best to get mounted for the next year. haha

maxx
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: speng5

His original 6 month estimate does seem real quick and maybe a touch unrealistic (which it looks like you are finding out). What would worry me more than a long or a short timeline, is a sliding timeline. He’s told you 6 months, and then now it is an additional 6 to 12 months. I sure hope in another 6+ months he doesn’t tell you it will be ANOTHER 6-12 months, etc. You hear of that happening sometimes, before you know it 20+ months have passed since the day you brought it in…

Again I think it has a lot to do with timing. My guy told me 3 months when I dropped the two off this year. Side note my kid and I shot our deer 5 days apart so we were back to back at the taxi.

Dropped mine off October 28 and got it back early January.

A lot of folks are not good communicators and they want to be happy. I think it is always better in a service type business to under promise and over deliver. If you think it is going to take 6 months tell the guy 8 and give to him in 5.

Anonymous
    Up
    Down

On a Side note though if he told you 6 months and wrote it on the ticket I would ask for a discount if he didnt deliver it.

mhock
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Did he say you would have it back in 6 months or did he say it would take him 6 months to complete the mount? There is a difference, he may have not made it clear, or you may have assumed something or misunderstood were he was coming from. Possible?

bigA
    Participant
    Up
    Down

She said 6 months and three receipt says 6 months…. Not hand written, but in the small print. Not a big deal, I was used to quicker timing, but it sounds like this is in line.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.