Home Forums Fishing Ice Fishing Targeting catfish

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Tell me everything you know about catfish through the ice. I want to catch them this year. I saw last year there were quite a few caught and want to know if they were incidentals or targeted.

Thanks

Participant

Quote by: REDBONE

Tell me everything you know about catfish through the ice. I want to catch them this year. I saw last year there were quite a few caught and want to know if they were incidentals or targeted.

Thanks

Globs of waxies or dead minnows. Beat the heck out of the bottom, and you should get em. Jigging spoons for bigger cats, but normal ice jigs will getthe eaters.

Participant

I target catfish late ice every year. Im sure everyone has their own techniques, this is what works for me. I use a jigging spoon with 2 waxies and fish about 2 foot off the bottom. For me a very slow presentation seems to work best. I barely twitch the spoon, maybe a slow raise. Too much movement seems to spook them. Watch your electronics(vex) and see how they react to your presentation. Good luck!!

Participant

I don’t know where you are from but if you are in SE Iowa I can put you on ice cats.

Tomcat

Participant

Mine are more accidents as I don’t target them through the ice but seem to catch my share. What was said above works but I have been in deeper water late and have them come through just below the ice.

Participant

I caught quite a few last year, but they were all incidental. I even rigged up a pole for them with a little heavier line, but still always caught them on my panfish poles. I did make a little gaff out of a bigger diddy pole hook and a piece of wooden dowel to help get them through the hole. All the cats I’ve caught have come out of one farm pond.

Participant

here is a report from last year on catfishing through the ice…

catfish

Participant

When I am fishing the creek channels in McBride is when I get into the channel cat.Usually near an inside corner.Say the locater shows 15′ to the bottom,then you notice the bottom changes to 14 or 13′.Usually it’s a school of channel cat.I will mention this to other fishermen in the area.Yea right is the normal response.That’s when i beg a couple of wax worms and catch one. I don’t fish for them but every time the bottom moves I get one if i can get some wax worms.

Participant

Has anyone tried regular catfish bait in the winter to target them? Like stink bait for channels? Why wouldn’t it work in the winter?

I stocked 800 in my pond about 2 years ago an I would love to get them through the ice!

Participant

I have caught most of my catfish through the ice at Black Hawk Lake with wax worms in the hole by ice house point and at Storm Lake on minnows when targeting walleye. I catch by far more catfish at Blach Hawk. GOOD LUCK FISHING!!!

Participant

The good brands of stinkbait will work under the ice. Have patience, though.

Tomcat

Participant

Thanks for the replies, hopefully I can get some this year.

Participant

Tomcat,

I am in the QC and am looking at trying to catch some cats through the ice this season. Do you have any places in the area that you have sucess at?

Participant

I was fishing last weekend in 16 foot of water for crappies and ended up catching 7 channel cats from 1 lb to 3 lb. The crazy thing is they all bit about 7 to 9 ft off the bottom on a teardrop with a wax worm. Must have been really hungry. As soon as I seen them on the vex hold on your rod hard or they would rip it out of your hand.

Participant

i caught cats through the ice with a tip up with a live minnow on bottem.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.