Talk Me Into or Out of Mathews Triax 2018-08-06T22:36:23+00:00

Home Forums Hunting Archery Talk Me Into or Out of Mathews Triax

Tagged: ,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Really on the fence on the Triax. Been shooting a Drenalin for 7-8 years (maybe more). It is fairly fast, always puts arrows where I want. The Triax does a good job of addressing the two issues I don’t like with the Drenalin – too long and too noisy. At 30 yards, it is deadly on deer. Any farther than that I pass because deer can react (either duck or jump) before arrow contact. The majority of my stands are set for less than 30 yards.

My son dropped $1800 on a new Triax all decked out. Its a sweet looking and shooting bow, very quiet. No hand shock. At 40 yards and in, my Drenalin keeps up with his Triax for accuracy. Stretching out to 60, he has an advantage (might be my eyes and form…) – but not sure why I’d shoot that far. I can’t steal my son’s bow – hes RH and I shoot LH (damn the luck).

Every year I’ve shot the new Mathews bows (HTR, Halon, Chill, Creed, etc.) but always found I could resist; just not enough advantage over my Drenalin. My Drenalin is 70lb pull and 29.5″ draw length. The Triax seems to be a step change – or has the marketing hype got me?

Do I take the plunge and buy a Triax or stick with my Drenalin? As I approach mid-50s, should I step down to 60lb pull or just take a 70lb bow and turn it down to 60?

What should I do? Anyone else in a similar dilemma?

bowfisherbowfisher
    Participant

Are you stuck on buying a Mathews only?

dingmo
    Participant

Not necessarily. The Drenalin was my first “high end” bow and has never let me down. Do you have a different reccomendation?

bowfisherbowfisher
    Participant

Ok, I really hate asking questions like that, some people are very brand loyal.

The reason I ask is that there are a lot of bows out there now that can be bought for less than what the “top” brands can be had for that are every bit as good and in some cases better.

I am currently shooting Xpedition – don’t want to sound like a commercial so I wont. Here is the link http://www.xpeditionarchery.com

Great bows a lot of people have never heard of and for the prices you get a lot! The best part is, they are now an Iowa owned company out of Decorah. Their dealer network is growing, and the factory will take customer phone calls as well. The first time I shot one, I didn’t want to put it down!!! I now own two of their bows.

Also, Moxie is making a great bow! I have had opportunities to shoot several of them. Another brand with a growing dealer network and a very customer oriented company.

Good luck! Don’t over look the little guys!

CJAyers
    Participant

I would look at a used Halon. I usually trade bows every couple of years. I have had a No Cam HTR, No Cam HTX, and now a Halon 32. You wouldn’t have a warranty, but it is a lot cheaper. I only paid $550 for my Halon 32. And I actually sold my No Cam HTX for the same money. If you look on ArcheryTalk, you can find deals from guys wanting to buy the latest bow and get rid of their old bow. It might take a while to find the right deal, but there are usually plenty posted each week. The one I got looks almost new and was barely shot. The Triax is very popular right now, so Halons have kind of taken a nose dive in price. There have been a few people that have had issues with the strings braking or the bow derailing because of some shallow string grooves on the early bow’s cams. If you are set on a Triax though, I would saw go for it. They are a great bow. Definitely an upgrade from a Drenalin as far as speed and less hand shock.

bowfisherbowfisher
    Participant

Ok, I really hate asking questions like that, some people are very brand loyal.

The reason I ask is that there are a lot of bows out there now that can be bought for less than what the “top” brands can be had for that are every bit as good and in some cases better.

I am currently shooting Xpedition – don’t want to sound like a commercial so I wont. Here is the link http://www.xpeditionarchery.com

Great bows a lot of people have never heard of and for the prices you get a lot! The best part is, they are now an Iowa owned company out of Decorah. Their dealer network is growing, and the factory will take customer phone calls as well. The first time I shot one, I didn’t want to put it down!!! I now own two of their bows.

Also, Moxie is making a great bow! I have had opportunities to shoot several of them. Another brand with a growing dealer network and a very customer oriented company.

Good luck! Don’t over look the little guys!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.