Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting taking does vs fawns

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Reading an article on taking does with fawns got me thinking. In the past I had no trouble taking a doe with a fawn while bow hunting. But a young doe bred for the first time rarely has twins while older does frequently have twins. So the population should bounce back twice as fast if we take the fawn instead of its momma……

Would you take the fawn instead of the doe?

OldbearOldbear
    Participant

If I take the life of an animal I will always take the larger of the two. I am a meat hunter and don’t go by anyones theories but out of respect for the animal want to get the most out of my kill.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

Participant

😯 My thought is ” bigger is better ” and since the locker charges by the head and not size , I’ll take the biggest doe I can ! If a locker charges say $ 100 minimum processing fee for taking a gutted deer and finish with making it all ground deer meat , than why settle for say 25 lbs. over 45 lbs. ? If I shoot a small deer , than it’s a Hush program candidate , but I never waste a tag or my time on that very often if I can help it , have done it though but it was always a large doe ! Even butchering a small deer by myself is not worth it , as the mess is still the same . 😉

Participant

I would usually take the doe but them fawns are mighty tender so I may be changing my ways…

Participant

I’ll take the biggest doe I can every time, especially now that we aren’t killing near as many as we have been. When it comes down to it, it’s about meat.

Participant

I’ll take the bigger one. I passed on several smaller ones last year and didn’t use 2 tags because I didn’t see any mature doe in the area I hunted those days.

Participant

I have gone back and forth on this. I hunt a controlled area and I need to kill two does before they let you use your statewide buck tag. With that in mind I try to take the first two bald deer that walk out.

Once that is complete I become a little more selective. I used to always take out the biggest doe because it is the same amount of work as the little one. One year we put a hurting on an area. I think I killed 4 big does out of one area. Hunted it towards the rut and it didn’t seem like the bucks were as excited about the little does. With that in mind last year I started to target the medium sized does more and let the big ole girls walk.

Participant

I’ve been shooting more big yearlings and boy are they tasty (during shotgun season). Sure you don’t get as much meat but what you do get makes it all worth it; every bit of that meat is pure enjoyment tender with no gamey taste. You don’t always know what your going to get when you shoot a big doe, the meat isn’t always the same quality. Not saying I won’t shoot a big doe just saying if there’s two I’ll take a smaller one over a big one. A few years back I shot a big one the deer was so old it had no teeth and the meat was rancid she must have been running on fumes. A handful other more mature deer I’ve shot or eaten have had gamey taste as well which I’ll still eat but it can be like eating a catfish over a crappie.

IaCraigIaCraig
    Participant

Doe. Same if a basket buck and a doe come by, I almost always take the doe.

Participant

Quote by: wolflb2

Reading an article on taking does with fawns got me thinking. In the past I had no trouble taking a doe with a fawn while bow hunting. But a young doe bred for the first time rarely has twins while older does frequently have twins. So the population should bounce back twice as fast if we take the fawn instead of its momma……

Would you take the fawn instead of the doe?

Without having any stats in front of me, I would assume everything you said is correct. If you want to rebuild a population shoot the ones that aren’t contributing as much to the reproduction rates. Not only are they less likely to have twins, they are also in-experienced mothers. I would be willing to bet that a fawn born to a first year mother has a higher mortality rate than one born to a experienced doe.

I personally go back and forth. I don’t like shooting the yearlings, but I will take one. They are easier to drag, easier to skin, and much more tender on the grill! If I want grind meat I would look for a older, more mature deer to get the quantity over quality.

Participant

I usually shoot whatever is in front of me. As for gamey taste , I have never found much of a different taste in any deer as long as it has been properly cared for. I do not hang deer to age it because of too many variables in temp. I age all of my meat in tubs in the fridge. I have had friends swear they were eating a yearling when it was really a rutted up buck…in my mind the age has little to do with the taste.

Participant

In all the research I’ve done. I’ve read that the older does have I higher percentage of twins and out that number. They are more likely to produce twin doe than twin bucks…which why the properties we hunt, older does are the meat we seek.

Participant

I always take the fawn or 1 1/2 yr. does. I process’em myself Tender and tasty is the name of the game for me. Although with the population decline my strategy for this season is the young junk bucks. Trying to let the herd multiply.

Participant

If I’m going to shoot a doe it’s going to be a bigger dOe. Yearlings always get a pass from, guess I’m sensitive in that aspect. That said I don’t shoot many does.

Participant

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

I usually shoot whatever is in front of me. As for gamey taste , I have never found much of a different taste in any deer as long as it has been properly cared for. I do not hang deer to age it because of too many variables in temp. I age all of my meat in tubs in the fridge. I have had friends swear they were eating a yearling when it was really a rutted up buck…in my mind the age has little to do with the taste.

x2… process and prepare that meat correctly and the old tastes just as tender as the young. I’ve had overcooked young deer and young meat that may have been tainted and was BAD.

I will shoot whatever walks in front of me depending on time of year, work sched, and proximity to truck.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.