Suppressor Help2018-12-01T12:58:56-05:00

Home Forums Hunting Firearms Suppressor Help

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m thinking of buying a suppressor for my heavy barrel 308. Which one offers the best recoil mitigation?

CCACCA
    Participant

Some questions need to be asked and answered here…

-What is the intended use of the weapon?  Precision slow fire?  Coyotes?  Just fun?
    -Will the can be expected to be used on other weapons or transition over to other configurations?
    -What method of attachment do you prefer?  QD or DT?
    -What budgetary constraints do you have if any?
    -What size/weight constraints do you have if any?

If you can respond with those questions, it’ll make dialing in some really good options much easier.  Not all cans are created equally and some of these answer will greatly impact what you should choose if felt recoil reduction is your chief concern.

-Michael

"I thought I trusted the rope until it mattered to me whether it would bear me. Now it matters, and I find I didn't..." - C.S. "Jack" Lewis - A Grief Observed

Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Just for fun for now. It’ll be used on a 223 and 308 heavy barrel bolt action rifles. Budget is around $1500 for the suppressor, stamp and any add ons. I’d prefer QD since I’ll swap between rifles. Weight and length aren’t a big concern. I’d like the best recoil and sound reduction possible. I’ve been looking at the KGmade Rogue 30.</p>

CCACCA
    Participant

Ok.  That helps a lot.

So…  When we consider precision use and add the idea that we’ll need to use this on multiple weapons AND it needs to have QD capability, that narrows the field considerably.  And it would really be more for the purposes of the QD than what you’d think.  Crappy methods of quick detach can attachment destroy otherwise great performing rifles.  It is incumbent on us all to make doubly sure that each time we attach a can that it goes on the same way, with the same tension, and thus provides the same characteristics with each installation, or we impart a huge variable into our shooting.  A loose can decimates accuracy.  A can that isn’t consistently installed and indexed alters accuracy differently with each installation.  Thus, we need a QD system that is consistent.

There are a couple out there that really do a great job.  I like the attributes of the Elite Iron can the best for this.  It isn’t overly expensive at all and is extremely well built.  The host/mount is a fantastic brake and comes with a cover/linear comp shield.  I run this particular can on two my most valued precision rigs.  BUT…  That thing is heavier than hell.  Big time.  So that really knocks it back a peg when compared to others.  Two others that we sell a lot of, I’ve used extensively myself, and have consistent results are the Silencerco Omega and the Dead Air Sandman.  Both are great cans with nice hosts and have a track record for performance.  I think I’d give the edge to the Omega currently.  It is light, not too long, consistent and extremely versatile.  I have many people that snag that can and swap it back and forth between their 30cal magnum elk rig, to their 6.5mm precision rig, to their AR-15 carbine and love it.  Of the 500+ cans we sold in the first year the law changed in Iowa the Omega represented nearly 40% of that number.

Now…  It needs to be understood that there are tons of other good cans out there and these aren’t the only options.  But they are options I have personal experience with so I can quantify them to you.  That doesn’t mean there aren’t other yummies available that are great options in kind.  I like Thunderbeast cans too.  The odd part is I don’t happen to like Zak very much personally.  While I doubt he and I would ever sit down and share a meal together and enjoy it, I can set that aside and say that his company builds darned good stuff and I’ve had no problem running and it and recommending it.  I chose the cans I keep and continue to use based on their performance, but also the folks that back them.  It’s always great to support people you like, so I place value on that additionally.

Another reason the Omega is better suited for you possibly is their ‘tank brake’ that goes on the can muzzle.  There just as much exiting the muzzle of your suppressed rifle as their was your virgin rifle.  The difference is how hot that exhaust is…  Just because it comes out cooler from a can than a virgin stick doesn’t mean you can’t use it to mitigate recoil.  I’ve shot Omegas with the tank brake installed and removed and while the difference isn’t night and day, you can tell that with the brake installed it helps a bit.  I’d tell you based on what you’re asking the Omega is one of your better options to seriously consider.

https://silencerco.com/silencers/omega/

Hope this helps some…

-Michael

"I thought I trusted the rope until it mattered to me whether it would bear me. Now it matters, and I find I didn't..." - C.S. "Jack" Lewis - A Grief Observed

Participant

Thanks for the info. The govt shutdown is affecting transfers right now, so buying a can might have to wait till it’s over. In the meantime I might buy a better brake for my rifle. I’ve been looking at the Area 419 Hellfire but not sure if it has a huge concussion sent back to the shooter.

CCACCA
    Participant

The shut down won’t bother…  If they aren’t working on stuff the line simply gets longer.  You aren’t helped by waiting, but actually hurt.  When you do get around to doing it you’ll simply be further down the list.  There’s zero reason to wait.

As far as muzzle brakes go…  IF you want serious reduction, you’re probably going to need to embrace the ideology that it can almost never be achieved in a practical sense without a ton of gas coming back your way.  The can or a moderator are the only other two options that are often seriously considered as alternatives.  Porting is a joke in a precision rig, so that’s out.

-Michael

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!