summer bite2019-07-15T19:30:55-05:00

Home Forums Fishing Catfishing summer bite

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Saturday nite was beautiful on the river.  very few bugs which surprised me and the fish were biting.  managed 8 nice fish on live greenies.  lost as many more.

Participant

Nice going, I haven’t made it out yet.

Participant

Nice catch. It’s a shame to see all those big ones not get released but to each their own. Iowa law for catfish sucks IMO.

Were they all post spawn?

Participant

How do you know they are “big ones”?

bowfisherbowfisher
    Participant

Those are perfect easting size in my opinion!

Great catch!!!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by bowfisher bowfisher.
    Participant

that’s what I thought too.

thanks Bowfisher

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

Those are not “big” ones. And what’s wrong with the catfish laws?? Theres more than enough catfish for anybody that wants to fish for them. And as far as “big ones”  no other species of fish in Iowa has has many 5 pound plus fish as there is catfish. On any given day you can fish the Mississippi and catch a mess of 3# plus fish.

Participant

What’s wrong with Catfish laws, is that people go string the rivers with diddy poles and keep everyone they catch. Big or small. IMO it would be nice to have the limits set like they are in Minnesota. 5 cats, only 2 can be flats, and only one over 24”.

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

Theres plenty of big cats. In my 25 years of fishing the rivers, diddies and rod reel, I have never seen a drop in the numbers of fish nor the numbers of big fish. They replenish much quicker than any other species. 40# plus fish still come out of the 4 biggest rivers every year.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by medicdano medicdano.
    bowfisherbowfisher
    Participant

Pretty certain the catfish laws in Iowa are just fine where they are at right now. I have been catfishing for 40 years and the only time I have ever seen a big decline in the rivers I fish are on drought years when the water gets really low. Even then there is still a lot of fish, all sizes. It is just harder to get to them.

Participant

What’s wrong with Catfish laws, is that people go string the rivers with diddy poles and keep everyone they catch. Big or small. IMO it would be nice to have the limits set like they are in Minnesota. 5 cats, only 2 can be flats, and only one over 24”.

On what do you base your opinion on this issue?  Have you ever read catfish survey results for the Des Moines, Cedar, Raccoon, Skunk, Iowa, Wapsi, or other river systems in Iowa?  There isn’t commercial fishing on any of these rivers that I know of, and the amount of fishing pressure is low compared to the water available.  I remember a study done on the Des Moines river between Saylorville and Red Rock back in the 1980s, and at that time there was more than one ton of catfish per river mile surveyed.  That is over 2,000 pounds of fish per mile.

If you have research or even anecdotal observations that would support your position, I would be happy to consider them.  I hope you aren’t one of the people out there on Fishbrain and other apps/sites that self–righteously preaches “CPR as always” or “limit your catch, don’t catch your limit”.  Limits on all major waterways, lake or river, are set using scientific research.  If people are operating within the laws, then just congratulate them and move on…

I didn’t think anybody in Minnesota catfished anyways…  😉

Participant

had another great time saturday nite with my brother and a buddy.  1 Flatty and 11 nice channels ranging from 5-8lbs.  had a blast.

Participant

just curious…….does anyone go catfishing anymore?

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

just curious…….does anyone go catfishing anymore?

I go about once a week between mothers day and labor day to fill the freezer.

Participant

well…..might be just the two of us medicdano

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!