Suggestions on a .308 saddle gun2019-03-11T22:14:55-05:00

Home Forums Hunting Firearms Suggestions on a .308 saddle gun

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I went to a gun show on Sunday looking for a saddle gun for my son to pack on his back country patrols. He has been carrying either a 12 gauge shotgun with slugs and buck for bears in the summer. Or his Remington 700 338 RUM or Remington 700 .308 rifle in the fall hunting season. His complaint is that after several days of riding he gets tired of the Remington 700 under his leg but likes a scoped rifle in case he gets a chance at a wolf. He has a Winchester Model 94 I bought for him and loves the way it packs on his saddle but doesn’t like the shorter range capability it offers. He really likes the .308 cartridge and wants to find a flat sided lever gun that will pack in a saddle scabbard easily. I found a Browning BLR in 3006 but he wants to stick with .308. Talked with a couple of dealers and was told to look at a Henry Long Ranger or a Browning BLR. I gather both offer relatively easy scope mounting and are both chambered in .308. Anybody shot either of these rifles? Also I have not handled any of the Henry rifles is the quality any good? I have not owned many Browning rifles but the one I do have is well made. I assume they are still a quality firearm?

Whip

Participant

Marlin mad that .308 Marlin Express some time back, ammo would be a pain in the arse, but would give the ballistics.  Could also search out a .307 Winchester, Hornady is making LeverEvolution for it now. And for more discontinued guns the Winchester 88s and 100s are out there…sorry have no feedback on the Henry’s but I’ve heard they are solid secondhand.

WhipWhip
    Participant

Talked with my son today and after checking out both guns has ordered the Henry Long Ranger. So I will have a report eventually.

Whip

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

Good deal!  I’ve wondered about a henry in 243 or 223, but have never handled one or knew someone who did.  So curious to both your thoughts.

WhipWhip
    Participant

My son got the Henry Long Ranger in .308 Winchester. He brought it by the house when he picked up his horses last week and I had an opportunity to handle it for few minutes. I liked the weight and overall feel of the gun. I didn’t put a scale on the trigger but it felt like it was about 3 lbs and was really clean with no creep. He had mounted a Leupold 2.5 – 8x VXIII scope (One of mine I had extra for another gun I was going to buy) on the gun with weaver rings to match the  two-piece, steel, Weaver/Picatinny type scope bases that came with the gun. He used low rings for the scope and the gun came up nice with just the right amount of comb height. Since he had to be back for a court appearance for a poacher he had written a citation too he grabbed his horses and left before I could shoot the gun. He called me yesterday and reported that he had found time to zero the gun and was really impressed. He had just flopped down prone and shot several 100 yard groups. He told me that he would put three shots touching but seemed to pull one shot in each 4 shot group a couple of inches out. He felt confident that the gun was a shooter capable of 300 yard shots for game. I’m headed over for Memorial Day Weekend and will hopefully get some first hand experience with it.

Whip

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

that’s a good report!  I’m interested in one in 223 or 243.  Just sounds like a fun gun!

I see Henry is starting to make single shot rifles and shotguns also.  Hard to beat blued steel and walnut with a hammer gun!

CCACCA
    Participant

sounds perfect!

-michael

"I thought I trusted the rope until it mattered to me whether it would bear me. Now it matters, and I find I didn't..." - C.S. "Jack" Lewis - A Grief Observed

Participant

Good deal! I’ve wondered about a henry in 243 or 223, but have never handled one or knew someone who did

sunwinclub

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!