Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Straight Wall Cartridges rules changes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Participant

According to Richard Rogers of the Iowa Firearms Coalition, it appears that DNR has now recently re-written the rules to exclude AR-type pistols from use on deer. (IFC thinks AR-type rifles in “straight-wall pistol calibers” will be acceptable during the newly authorized seasons.) IFC is working to rectify this. It may take legislation…

“Second Amendment – Either you are helping pull the wagon, getting a free ride in the wagon, or trying to take away the wagon. Which one are you?” -- IAShooters

Participant

How did this get in Turkey Hunting over Deer?

But, For what is worth, I would expect the DNR is blocking AR style pistols because they can be changed out very quickly from a legal cartridge to one that is not, but would be more effective.

Good luck on getting this cleared up.

ECFirearmsECFirearms
    Participant

admin, thanks for the move.

“Second Amendment – Either you are helping pull the wagon, getting a free ride in the wagon, or trying to take away the wagon. Which one are you?” -- IAShooters

Participant

My question would be, why do you need to use an AR type pistol to hunt deer? If you can’t hit one with a shotgun, I don’t want to be in the same hunting area that you are in using an AR type pistol.

ECFirearmsECFirearms
    Participant

Quote by: White81

My question would be, why do you need to use an AR type pistol to hunt deer? If you can’t hit one with a shotgun, I don’t want to be in the same hunting area that you are in using an AR type pistol.

Why do you presume that a conscientious hunter can not hit a deer with a shotgun? Sounds to me like the rest of us “don’t want to be in the same hunting area” as you.

Participant

I have no issue killing a deer with a shotgun or a bow, which is why I see no reason or need to carry an AR type pistol to hunt deer. Shouldn’t take more than one shot to get your kill.

Maybe they should limit deer hunting to single shot type guns only.

Participant

I have no issue killing a deer with a shotgun or a bow, which is why I see no reason or need to carry an AR type pistol to hunt deer. Shouldn’t take more than one shot to get your kill.

Spear or knives, perhaps rocks. That’s all a real man needs. I guess I don’t get why someone would care what a person uses as long as it’s legal? I have always thought shotguns were stupid, and inefficient for deer hunting, so I will be taking my 45/70 to the woods with me this year, which I think is a much more appropriate firearm for deer hunting then a bird barreled 870 and a round ball slug. My Dos Centavos.

Participant

Why do the rules on this suddenly need to be changed? Hunting deer with a handgun in certain straight walled cartridges has been legal for many years now. An AR-style pistol functions no differently than a semi-auto handgun.

Participant

Quote by: TrapCyclone

Why do the rules on this suddenly need to be changed? Hunting deer with a handgun in certain straight walled cartridges has been legal for many years now. An AR-style pistol functions no differently than a semi-auto handgun.

It removes a very powerful/effective round from being used. The 50 Beowulf.

Participant

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

Why would they want/need to remove the .50 Beowulf as a deer hunting round in a handgun? Aren’t the ballistics very similar to a 12 ga shotgun slug?

Participant

I think they intentionally were trying to ban ar pistols because they were being used in 50 Beowulf during late muzzleloader season and that didn’t sit well with some as it went against the spirit of the season. I haven’t seen anything that would disallow an ar rifle in 50 Beowulf during the youth and shotgun seasons.

Participant

Quote by: Wallyman

Spear or knives, perhaps rocks. That’s all a real man needs. I guess I don’t get why someone would care what a person uses as long as it’s legal? I have always thought shotguns were stupid, and inefficient for deer hunting, so I will be taking my 45/70 to the woods with me this year, which I think is a much more appropriate firearm for deer hunting then a bird barreled 870 and a round ball slug. My Dos Centavos.

My Benelli along with the Nikon scope is very effective. I don’t really care what anyone uses as long as it is legal, I just don’t see a use for an AR type pistol unless they just go ahead and make it legal to hunt with rifles.

Participant

White- Your are getting wound around the axle on the description and appearance of the weapon without considering the fact that it is no different functionally than any semi-automatic pistol or shotgun for that matter.

It makes no difference if the pistol is a semi-auto shortened version of an AR style weapon. The .50AE Desert Eagle is one of the most powerful handguns ever created, and it is really “scary” looking to some people. However, functionally and ballistically it is no different.

Action- Semi-Auto
    Caliber- .50 xxx
    Platform- Pistol

As hunters and gun owners we need to do ourselves better and not get caught up in media hyped names and appearances.

ECFirearmsECFirearms
    Participant

Quote by: CRIA1576

White- Your are getting wound around the axle on the description and appearance of the weapon without considering the fact that it is no different functionally than any semi-automatic pistol or shotgun for that matter.

It makes no difference if the pistol is a semi-auto shortened version of an AR style weapon. The .50AE Desert Eagle is one of the most powerful handguns ever created, and it is really “scary” looking to some people. However, functionally and ballistically it is no different.

Action- Semi-Auto
    Caliber- .50 xxx
    Platform- Pistol

As hunters and gun owners we need to do ourselves better and not get caught up in media hyped names and appearances.

X2 and Amen Brother.

Participant

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

Why would they want/need to remove the .50 Beowulf as a deer hunting round in a handgun? Aren’t the ballistics very similar to a 12 ga shotgun slug?

I am not sure why they would want to remove an effective cartridge then leave much less capable rounds on the list like the 38 super, 40 S&w and the 45 ACP…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.