Home Forums Fishing Walleye Fishing Storm Lake Walleye

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

So are the walleye deep or shallow?

Participant

I’ve been catching them both shallow and deep. The cold front may have slowed them down some but last Monday & Wednesday were good.

Participant

Definitely out in the dredge cuts now.  Last time out, any color was good as long as it was blue.

CedarStorm1975CedarStorm1975
    Participant

We checked out dredge cuts all weekend long…..we found more fish hanging around the deeper water (4-6 feet) off points, bars, etc. The bite shut off for us once the sun got up around 9-10 am. We spent a lot of time casting for them. We definitely were not getting numbers….eaters were hard to find, but we had lots of fun catch and release fishing some really nice fish. It’s funny how Storm Lake the last few years (for us), our common complaint is that we couldn’t find any keepers because the fish are “too big” to be legally/ethically kept, haha.  In that respect, we kinda miss the old 15 inch length limit that was on the lake, but just the same, it’s a lot of fun catching bigger walleyes. We’ve actually caught walleyes with smaller  half digested walleyes dangling out of their mouths!

Participant

So far this year, I’ve only had one 15.5in walleye otherwise everything has been 20in+. My only complaint is only being able to keep one over the 22in slot. But I totally understand it. The fish are pigs in that lake….it just takes some time to find them.

Just a few years ago we caught white bass quite often…..now I never catch them. The ocassional nice sized crappie happens every so often…..and the big cats.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.