Home Forums Hunting Mushroom Hunting Still growing

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Took a walk tonight. Found one Chicken of the woods. seventy Hunters heart, and 55 blue oyster mushrooms. Hope this weather last for a while. Anyone else finding a lot of mushrooms? :question:

Participant

Not trying to be a smart butt, aren’t they refered to as “hen of the woods” and chicken mushrooms, two differant types of mushrooms? I picked a nice chicken mushroom ( sulfer shell) today, very fresh, and last week harvested about 5 lbs. of hen of the woods. Week before found a gold mind of oysters also, been a late season for shrooms. Just saying, later Ray.

huntersafehuntersafe
    Participant

Quote by: trapperray

Not trying to be a smart butt, aren’t they refered to as “hen of the woods” and chicken mushrooms, two differant types of mushrooms? I picked a nice chicken mushroom ( sulfer shell) today, very fresh, and last week harvested about 5 lbs. of hen of the woods. Week before found a gold mind of oysters also, been a late season for shrooms. Just saying, later Ray.

Chicken

Hen of the woods( Maitake)

I like the Hens of the woods better. I have about 8 lbs of the blue oysters. The oyster are coming on strong. I’m going out tomorrow and should do very well. good luck!

Participant

๐Ÿ˜€ Nice finds, But I have to ask. What is a hunters heart? Never heard of that one before. Got a pic?

huntersafehuntersafe
    Participant

Quote by: muskrat

๐Ÿ˜€ Nice finds, But I have to ask. What is a hunters heart? Never heard of that one before. Got a pic?

The hunters heart I find in the same areas for years, We had some last night. fried onion one cup, red pepper very small from my garden and three cups chopped mushroom cooked just to blend the flavors.

find them on the ground near a stump. Honey mushrooms are sometimes in the same group

That is a two gal bucket . those are some to the bigger ones I have found. normal is 1 to 2 inches.

Participant

Gonna have to check out those hunters hearts? I’ve probably seen them,yet had no idea what they where? Later Ray

Participant

I wish i knew my mushrooms better, i’ve always gone for morels (who doesn’t) but this is my first year after any fall shrooms, by chance i found a 8รขโ‚ฌย puffball about a month ago squirrel hunting, then a single shaggy mane about 2 weeks ago, the last 5 days i’ve been hitting the shaggys almost every night, i found 3 dozen tonight, had the light not failed me or had i had a flashlight, i’d probably still be out on my hands and knees moving leaf litter picking shaggys.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.