Home Forums Hunting Firearms Legislation Starbucks “Requesting” Not to Open Carry

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Participant

FRom starbucks website:
    An Open Letter from Howard Schultz, ceo of Starbucks Coffee Company

Tuesday, September 17, 2013
    Posted by Howard Schultz, Starbucks chairman, president and chief executive officer

Dear Fellow Americans,

Few topics in America generate a more polarized and emotional debate than guns. In recent months, Starbucks stores and our partners (employees) who work in our stores have been thrust unwillingly into the middle of this debate. That’s why I am writing today with a respectful request that customers no longer bring firearms into our stores or outdoor seating areas.

From the beginning, our vision at Starbucks has been to create a “third place” between home and work where people can come together to enjoy the peace and pleasure of coffee and community. Our values have always centered on building community rather than dividing people, and our stores exist to give every customer a safe and comfortable respite from the concerns of daily life.

We appreciate that there is a highly sensitive balance of rights and responsibilities surrounding America’s gun laws, and we recognize the deep passion for and against the “open carry” laws adopted by many states. (In the United States, “open carry” is the term used for openly carrying a firearm in public.) For years we have listened carefully to input from our customers, partners, community leaders and voices on both sides of this complicated, highly charged issue.

Our company’s longstanding approach to “open carry” has been to follow local laws: we permit it in states where allowed and we prohibit it in states where these laws don’t exist. We have chosen this approach because we believe our store partners should not be put in the uncomfortable position of requiring customers to disarm or leave our stores. We believe that gun policy should be addressed by government and law enforcement—not by Starbucks and our store partners.

Recently, however, we’ve seen the “open carry” debate become increasingly uncivil and, in some cases, even threatening. Pro-gun activists have used our stores as a political stage for media events misleadingly called “Starbucks Appreciation Days” that disingenuously portray Starbucks as a champion of “open carry.” To be clear: we do not want these events in our stores. Some anti-gun activists have also played a role in ratcheting up the rhetoric and friction, including soliciting and confronting our customers and partners.

For these reasons, today we are respectfully requesting that customers no longer bring firearms into our stores or outdoor seating areas—even in states where “open carry” is permitted—unless they are authorized law enforcement personnel.

I would like to clarify two points. First, this is a request and not an outright ban. Why? Because we want to give responsible gun owners the chance to respect our request—and also because enforcing a ban would potentially require our partners to confront armed customers, and that is not a role I am comfortable asking Starbucks partners to take on. Second, we know we cannot satisfy everyone. For those who oppose “open carry,” we believe the legislative and policy-making process is the proper arena for this debate, not our stores. For those who champion “open carry,” please respect that Starbucks stores are places where everyone should feel relaxed and comfortable. The presence of a weapon in our stores is unsettling and upsetting for many of our customers.

I am proud of our country and our heritage of civil discourse and debate. It is in this spirit that we make today’s request. Whatever your view, I encourage you to be responsible and respectful of each other as citizens and neighbors.

Sincerely,

Howard Schultz

http://www.starbucks.com/blog/an-open-letter-from-howard-schultz/1268

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

Morons. Starbucks sux anyway….

Well i used to like starbucks.

Participant

Quote by: medicdano

I am not sure what you mean by Starbucks sucks, if you feel the price is too high, I can agree with that. If you don’t like the coffee, I can understand that as well, everyone has different tastes. I actually like their coffee. If you feel that the decision to ask clients not to open carry makes them suck, on this point I have to disagree. Shortly after Sandyhook, when so many people were trying to infringe on our second amendment rights, Starbucks stepped up to the plate and embraced our right to carry. In Iowa as you know, open carry is not common and their are many people that are very uncomfortable when they see someone with a weapon strapped to their hip. I sincerely wish that Iowan were more like the citizens from Arizona where open carry is common, but they are just not used to it. If open carry makes some of the customers at Starbucks uneasy, I would be the first to honor their wish. They are our friend and because of that I would not want to cut into their profits. If a business has a no guns sign, I avoid doing business there, to the contrary, if they embrace the second amendment, I want to do everything possible to make them successful.

Participant

Hoplophobes! 🙄

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

Quote by: sensquid

Quote by: medicdano

I am not sure what you mean by Starbucks sucks, if you feel the price is too high, I can agree with that. If you don’t like the coffee, I can understand that as well, everyone has different tastes. I actually like their coffee. If you feel that the decision to ask clients not to open carry makes them suck, on this point I have to disagree. Shortly after Sandyhook, when so many people were trying to infringe on our second amendment rights, Starbucks stepped up to the plate and embraced our right to carry. In Iowa as you know, open carry is not common and their are many people that are very uncomfortable when they see someone with a weapon strapped to their hip. I sincerely wish that Iowan were more like the citizens from Arizona where open carry is common, but they are just not used to it. If open carry makes some of the customers at Starbucks uneasy, I would be the first to honor their wish. They are our friend and because of that I would not want to cut into their profits. If a business has a no guns sign, I avoid doing business there, to the contrary, if they embrace the second amendment, I want to do everything possible to make them successful.

It is highpriced and I don’t care for the coffee. While I don’t see the need or wisdom of “open carry”, stating that they don’t want anybody bringing a weapon into the store (they did not specify open or concealed) is reason enough for me to avoid the place.

Participant

What a idiot.

Participant

Indeed- looks to me they want no guns at all. Also the fear of “having to disarm” people sounds pretty ignorant.

I do repect how long they have tried to stay out of things and just stick to coffee.

Participant

He specifically mentioned open carry, but finished with his request to not bring weapons, period. He’s also distancing himself from picking sides by removing affiliation with either side. While that can be seen as being indifferent, you can’t please both sides. It’s a coffee shop, not a political stage. He’s basically saying, “Hey, the law is the law, you have your rights, I just want to let everyone that open carries to stop doing so. Conceal it or don’t bring it, just don’t show it off. It’s unnerving to many customers.” I think it’s a publicity thing to let the anti-gun crowd to be placated while giving a hint to the pro-2A crowd that he’s not outright banning them. My $.02. And for the record, I’ll likely carry concealed into a Starbucks. 🙂

Participant

Quote by: docmudge

He specifically mentioned open carry, but finished with his request to not bring weapons, period. He’s also distancing himself from picking sides by removing affiliation with either side. While that can be seen as being indifferent, you can’t please both sides. It’s a coffee shop, not a political stage. He’s basically saying, “Hey, the law is the law, you have your rights, I just want to let everyone that open carries to stop doing so. Conceal it or don’t bring it, just don’t show it off. It’s unnerving to many customers.” I think it’s a publicity thing to let the anti-gun crowd to be placated while giving a hint to the pro-2A crowd that he’s not outright banning them. My $.02. And for the record, I’ll likely carry concealed into a Starbucks. 🙂

I’m right with you and I really don’t have a problem with what Starbucks is saying. I can certainly respect the fact that people are uneasy with someone openly displaying a firearm in a coffee shop. If I’m at the archery range and someone walks in carrying a side arm, I don’t think twice. If I’m at Mc Donalds, I get nervous. I think as 2A supporters we need to be mindful of how we make people around us feel when we open carry. If you are in a situation where others may become nervous because you are carrying, conceal it! If you are at the archery range or the DU banquet, carry it open! I think too many people have an attitude of “this is my RIGHT and I don’t care how others feel about it”. This attitude is detrimental to our cause and gives people who may have no strong feelings about guns a reason to turn anti. I don’t carry, but I’m in strong support of our right to do so. However, just because you CAN doesn’t mean you SHOULD in all situations.

Participant

I’m not sure why anyone would openly carry in public. It is so easy to carry without anyone even knowing. I don’t see why you would ever advertise you have a gun on your person. I really prefer that no one knows how many guns I have. To many guns have been stolen and I do not want someone breaking into my home while I’m gone and stealing from me!

If I was a punk and saw someone carrying and wanted some drug money I would follow that person to their house and check back later (like working hours) and pick up what I could!

I look at open carry like smoking. If it bothers someone don’t do it! Is there some reason to openly carry? I’m obviously missing something here.

Heuy

Participant

Some of you guys need some sensitivity training. If it makes others uncomforable, I try not to do it. Personally it makes me a little nervous when I see someone carrying in public, and I have been around guns my entire life.

ECFirearmsECFirearms
    Participant

I would guess that behavior like this is what got Starbuck’s panties in a bunch. 🙄

“Second Amendment – Either you are helping pull the wagon, getting a free ride in the wagon, or trying to take away the wagon. Which one are you?” -- IAShooters

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

Yeah…..can you say blantent and arrogant overkill?

Participant

How many actually open carry on a regular basis? I’ve not seen anyone (aside from gun store crowd) open carrying.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.