Home Forums Miscellaneous Iowa Outdoors Cookbook — Recipes Squirrel backstrap stew

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Any specific kind of spices? I think I may give this a try I’m always looking for ways to use wild game. Wonder how goose or duck would taste in a stew…

Participant

Quote by: Carpit

No place for that type of bigotry on this site.

So disappointing and ignort of other cultures

I’m confused; all I saw was speaking out against the food preparation not an ethnic group themselves. Where do you interpret the bigotry?

IaCraigIaCraig
    Participant

Quote by: bowfisher

We will get a bunch of rabbits in the winter, grind all the meat up, mix it with pork and add some bratwurst seasoning to it. It hits the wow factor for sure. Might be worth trying the same with squirrels!

Many years ago when I hunted a lot of small game, that is exactly what I did. I’ve also done it with squirrels and pheasants.

IaCraigIaCraig
    Participant

Quote by: huntingirl

Any specific kind of spices? I think I may give this a try I’m always looking for ways to use wild game. Wonder how goose or duck would taste in a stew…

I bet Canada goose breast meat would work well.

I usually put all the gizzards and hearts from my pheasants, geese and ducks together when I freeze them. Then when I get enough I thaw them out and cut them into fairly uniform sizes and use them as the meat for my favorite beef stew recipe. My wife is fairly picky when it comes to eating wild game, but this passes her taste test.

Participant

Quote by: TrapCyclone

Do you cook the meat bone-in and then pull the meat or cut it off the squirrel before cooking?

Cooking on the bone. The little ribs actually cook enough in the crock pot, where if you miss one, they are edible like canned salmon bones.

Quote by: huntingirl

I used homemade broth from some chicken we cooked, with salt and pepper, but I bet there are better options. I have cooked duck and goose in a tomato sauce with good luck in the past. I think the acid in the tomatoes helps tenderize the meat some.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.