Home Forums Hunting Dog Training springer pup

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

We picked up a springer pup a couple weeks ago. He will listen to what I tell him in the house like come sit stay all the basics but as soon as I get him outside in or big side yard everything goes out the window he wont do any of it and it gets frustrating at times when I try to work with him outside. The funny thing about it is when I have him in the small part of the yard between the house and garage he listens. He is only 12 weeks old I know hes young. Am I trying to go to fast with him?

Participant

patients my young squire! ha hes just a pup. ready to try your every nerve. keep up the training ive had springers my whole life and there aint nothing better. when you take him out hes just looking at a whole new big ol world. hes only 12 weeks aint seen much yet.

Participant

He is just a pup. Have fun with him and make him your best buddy. I would make it all about fun with you. No harsh corrections just yet. Do not give a command you can not have him do reliably right now. Work with him slowly, he will get it. Do not be in a hurry, just because others are ahead in training. Better to be perfect with a command than hurried and unreliable. Take him to puppy classes, socialize him to everything you can think of. Get him used to travelling in a vehicle. If you have to walk him on a light long line. Start puppy play retrieves. Have fun and enjoy being with him. When you are ready for formal bird training get ahold of me, I know springer people in your area.

Participant

You got the word…patients. You two will work it all out. I to have had Springers all my life. They are very good hunters, learn quickly and well and will be your new best friend…always. Take him for walks in the field…he’ll love it. As mentioned, you might want to use a light check rope to start with. I’ve used that plastic coated clothesline rope before. Light but strong enough to hold him back. He just wants to explore the world right now so allow him some freedom. Keep doing what you are doing and I guaentee he will come around. By this time next year, you’llbe so proud of him your chest will be busting through your coat.

Have fun with him. You guys are partners and he’ll do anything for you. But for now, let him explore his new world.

L8R…Ken

BTW, don’t forget the water. Even right now, if you find open water, he’ll want to get in. Springers love water. All of mine were excellent duck retrievers too.

Participant

I took him to one of the less used public hunting areas south of town here and he amazed on how well he listed. He loves being in the weeds and would never get to far out. I think we are going to start working with the springer club in Omaha at the begging of the year to help refine him in the field. Thanks for all the encouraging words fellas. I’m sure there going to be a few more headaches to come

Participant

We have a springer/ lab mix that was the same. Lots of work is a 30′ leash really helped, still hes a bit hard headed outside though never goes far from the family.

Participant

Quote by: CraigThor

We have a springer/ lab mix that was the same. Lots of work is a 30′ leash really helped, still hes a bit hard headed outside though never goes far from the family.

How do you like that labradinger ?? I have the opportunity to pick one out for free that’ll be weaned in a few weeks. Still debating

Participant

How do you like that labradinger ?? I have the opportunity to pick one out for free that’ll be weaned in a few weeks. Still debating

Participant

Quote by: DWC

We love our mutt, he was born from an accident with the farmers and fathers dogs. Best dog ever and he is a near perfect look mix wise. He is about 72lbs super fit.

Participant

I used to work with a trainer and he had a couple of rules that I still use to this day.

Never give a command you cannot enforce and let them hunt. Do not yell at them all the time in the field, let them run and enjoy it. You can always bring them back later, but you have to get them to love the field first.

Trust them and let them have fun, do not worry about the birds. It is only a bird. No bird is worth your dogs love of hunting.

Keep training and having fun. Sounds like you have a good start.

Participant

Congrats on the pup. I am going to keep this short, not feeling the best but if you have questions ask.

You didnt mention an age on the pup. I figure about 10 weeks? Way to soon to expect a lot.

1. Keep it on a check cord when you are working with it and in the house, keep it on a 3-4 ft cord. NEVER leave a choke collar one. Not sure if you have one, but I wanted to add that just in case.
    2. Never give a command you cant enforce and enforce all commands. The check cord and pull tap will help you with this one.
    3. Keep the rule of 7’s in mind. Once you train a command in the house/yard, you are going to have to do it in 7 other areas of the world to solidify it in its head. Its is just how it works.
    4. Be firm but fair with a correction, which in a pups case should just be a minor brow beating.
    5. Give a command once and then guide and enforce.
    6. If your pup runs off and dis obeys a recall, DO NOT call it back and then punish it. This is a no brainer. To the dog he just got punished for coming to you.

If you are around me……………………If ANYONE is around me and would like some one on one help. Just ask. I love to help people build good relationships with thier dogs. SO please get ahold of me.

Good luck

OH, ANd pictures are a must!

Participant

This is Chevy he’s 12 weeks now and turning in to a great dog. Only thing we are having issues with is him coming back when he has something. But it’s getting better so any help with this would be great. He did get to see his 1st rooster the other day when I brought home a couple from the days trip. He does love the wings

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.