Spring beaver2019-02-10T20:31:37-05:00

Home Forums Trapping / Fur Handling Trapping Spring beaver

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello I’m new to this sight from NE Iowa. I was wandering if many of you do spring beaver trapping and if so I would like to see some pics of your seasons from the past and would like to hear your sets you prefer to use .. thanks

Participant

Welcome to the site, I see its been two weeks and nobody responded to your request. Im not a beaver trapper but like you I would have loved to  see some pics. Trapping forum for the most part wasn’t used much this year and that is really sad. There are some damn good trappers here with lots of good info and pics that could have been shared. With that being said, I believe I am also part of the problem with the trapping forum. In the future I will work on becoming part of the solution. I will also learn to take pics so that I may be able to share them. I miss this forum on I.S. …Again welcome to the site

Participant

I don’t know how to post pics but I had a decent season for me on beavers. I’m looking forward to spring thaw and hopefully getting some more. I use footholds, 330’s, and snares with a variety of different sets. I’d say my favorite is a blind 330.

OldbearOldbear
    Participant

I caught one beaver in a #220 set flat in a run in a field .  Other than that snares are the only way I can catch them.  Besides l don’t have any waders any more to set a #330 out.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

lunker99lunker99
    Participant

Tried to reply to this a couple of days ago with pictures, but it never showed up.

Participant

Not being a beaver trapper I did try it a couple years ago when I saw a couple of slides and a small dam. I figured it would be easy to just set a trap at the end of the slide sorta like catching a muskrat. Never did have any luck. I figured they would be a little smarter than a rat but Id thought Id least catch a dumb one and that didn’t happen.

Participant

In the Spring, you have a couple of great options. Trap fresh sign, where Beavers live or trap for the dispersal. Beaver that have been kicked out and are roaming around. When the banks thaw, there will be Beavers Defending territory and others searching for a place to call home.

Caster mound sets and B.E. type sets, take care of a lot of travelers. Slides (both bank and dam), channel sets, and caster mounds set on home ground will take care of the family groups.

I use 330’s, snares, and footholds depending on the situation. Making one set, using one type of trap is fast. You can cover a lot of ground and run/gun this way. I just prefer to make the best set I can for the conditions I have.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Avatar Brad Phillips. Reason: spelling
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!