Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum Spoonbill snagging in Ottumwa

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Bumping this thread in case spoonbill snagging has started up yet. I didn’t get one last year so still trying to check it off my bucket list.

Participant

This is something I would really like to try once just to say I did it and get a picture. How hard is it to do? What type of equipment do you need? Do you just need a fishing license?

I like doing stuff that is just different.

Participant

🙂

Use a catfish pole. Somethgiung like the Kign Cat or similar. You want an medium action to medium heavy action rod. Use braid line about 30# to 100#. YOur preference on the line. State law. The treble hooks must not measure more that one inch across from any point to the other point. You can look at the regs on that.

Check your You tube. Lots of videos on how to tie on the 3 to 5 ounce weight just below the treble hook. Then you just throw out the weight into the river and jerk it back viiolentlyi. You repeat this process feeling for the thump. If you fell the thump you jerk real hard. You are tryuing to get that treble to penetrate the spoonbill.

Oh yeah, Dont do this and invest in some cheap reel. First year I could have had a beauty and my reel blow up.

Have fun and take some ibuprofen, cuz it’s a wokout on your sides. At the end of the day my side are killing me. GOOD LUCK. ROBBIE

Participant

OK I need to give this a go one of these years. I will have to see my schedule if I can make it down this year.

I am guessing it is better if you have a boat? I have one that I could run down with.

Participant

Better if you have a boat, but you need two guys in the boat minimum, cuz the operator will not be fishihng. Take turns. In the lake of the oaarks they troll I think, but in the des moines I do not think that is the method. Still cast and jerk the treble hook to snag.

You can fish at night, but then its headlight like the coal miners use and it gets tricker. robbie

Participant

🙂

wilil say when you snag one and it runs up river, then back down river and all over the river just hang on cuz it;s a blast. If you land the bill, then it’s pictures and loads of fun.

WapelloMarkWapelloMark
    Participant

Don’t bother with the boat , the water below the dam is way to rough, snagging from a boat is not easy, especially in that turbulence, big rocks and fairly shallow, the best stretch for it is between the bridge and the dam, south side, down on the rocks, 2 hooks a foot apart … remember you have to drag it through the current while it’s fighting for its life, not an easy catch, can’t beat the eating part though 🙂

stick500stick500
    Participant

with stuff like this you should start a new thread so some of us aren’t reading a bunch of two-year old news before we realize it

BTW, it’s free to start a new thread 🙂

Participant

Quote by: stick500

with stuff like this you should start a new thread so some of us aren’t reading a bunch of two-year old news before we realize it

Umm looks like it is getting enough traction I don’t see the need to start a new thread just to start a new thread.

If you want to feel free. Been on the site a long time I think I know how it works.

stick500stick500
    Participant

Quote by: maxx

Quote by: stick500

Umm looks like it is getting enough traction I don’t see the need to start a new thread just to start a new thread.

If you want to feel free. Been on the site a long time I think I know how it works.

you start a new thread so most of us don’t waste time reading 2-year old news before we notice the date!

you don’t get my point??

I usually start a Spring Sucker Run thread every year- a new one- why confuse people with old posts?

again, it’s free!

Participant

Ya I get it if there was a few pages of post but this literally was one page and maybe 6 or 7 post totals so you are kind of blowing it out of proportion.

Participant

Quote by: maxx

Ya I get it if there was a few pages of post but this literally was one page and maybe 6 or 7 post totals so you are kind of blowing it out of proportion.

While this example here is only a few posts, raising old posts from the dead (necroing or necro posting) is frowned upon in many forums because it is easy to misinterpret the post as new information. It can be confusing to the reader. Many sites have policies against it. I read this thread and was thinking the Mississippi was up to 45 degrees and was about to change some plans next weekend. Then I noticed the date of the posts. This is the confusion that can occur with old posts resurrected from the dead. Is it a big deal, not really, but it seems best to to just make new threads and quote any relevant data from the past you want to bring forward in a current discussion.

WapelloMarkWapelloMark
    Participant

It’s relevant and current 🙄 I like the resurrection of old threads, some of us have been around long enough that we can just pick it up where it was last.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.