Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum Spoonbill snagging in Ottumwa

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Has anyone had any luck snagging spoonbill in Ottumwa yet? I have next Tuesday off and plan to spend the day there trying to get my first spoonbill (or anything else that will bite). Any info would be appreciated.

Participant

Any news yet? Went down last Tuesday and no luck. Must be too early. Good luck this weekend!

Participant

I heard they’re getting some at Bonaparte so I’m guessing they’re getting close to Ottumwa if they aren’t already there.

Participant

I’ve not heard of anyone catching any in bonaparte and thats usually where i go. One of my friends is from there and is usually first to try it and he hasnt even went

Participant

Kid I know drove from Hamilton, Illinois and got his 2 fish limit at Bonaparte twice last week. Males 10-20 pounds. Females should be up soon.

Participant

Was there myself 2 nites ago, nobody else. If theyre runnin there’d be people there on both sides! Nothin in 2hrs time

Participant

Water temp has dropped to 45 as of yesterday. Probably 43 by tomorrow. Going to be a late season. Caught one dink yesterday by St. Francisville but only stayed about 30 minutes. Next weeks forecast looks better. They’re already at the dam at 18. Released a 43″ female last week.

Participant

Quote by: catfishcalvin

Water temp has dropped to 45 as of yesterday. Probably 43 by tomorrow. Going to be a late season. Caught one dink yesterday by St. Francisville but only stayed about 30 minutes. Next weeks forecast looks better. They’re already at the dam at 18. Released a 43″ female last week.

What temps do you usually start seeing them run in full force around?

Participant

It seems like there are males at the dam no matter what temp it is on opening day. This year it was 43 degrees opening day if I remember right. The females don’t start running full force until close to 55. They still haven’t started running down in the Ozarks yet and that’s 4 hours south. Next Friday is the last day of the season on the Mississippi and if the forecast is right we won’t hit 55. But there’s no season dates for the Des Moines you can go whenever.

Participant

Thanks Calvin. Hopefully they start moving up the interior rivers soon.

Participant

This weather definately sucks! Wished it’d warm the hell up already! Prob gunna head down tonite after work and see if i cant stick anything. Do ya know anything on where a guy can snag in ottumwa? Ive heard between hydro and first bridge but not sure. Also my uncle mentioned something about a special license? I’m assuming thats prob for snaggin on the missouri river? As i havent heard anything about that at all…

fishhookfishhook
    Participant

Quote by: jig4pigs

This weather definately sucks! Wished it’d warm the hell up already! Prob gunna head down tonite after work and see if i cant stick anything. Do ya know anything on where a guy can snag in ottumwa? Ive heard between hydro and first bridge but not sure. Also my uncle mentioned something about a special license? I’m assuming thats prob for snaggin on the missouri river? As i havent heard anything about that at all…

You can snag only from the south bank of the river in Ottumwa, the north side is closed to snagging. At least in the downtown area. Once you get past the Jefferson St bridge you can snag on the north side.

There is a causeway built across most of the river just below the Market St bridge, so probably best to stay downriver from that. There is a boat ramp on the south side of the river behind the Bridgeview center, that would be a good spot, or further down by the John Deere plant, or under the hwy34 bridge by the hog plant.

Participant

Just checking to see if this weeks warm temperatures helped things out. May make the drive down on Sunday to try to snag a spoonbill. Any advice would be appreciated. Tight lines!

Participant

Have they started picking up any Spoonies in Bonaparte yet? The wife and I are thinking of heading down this weekend to snag. It’s a four hour drive for us so any help is appreciated.

Participant

to the top

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.