Home Forums Miscellaneous Camping Southwest United States

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I will be taking my two sons on a trip to the Grand Canyon sometime this summer. We will be travelling by auto, and tent camping every night in various state wildlife areas and on BLM ground along the way. I have camped in the mountains and know what to expect there, but I don’t know what to expect for hazards and such in areas farther southwest. You know desert like areas.

So for those of you that have some experience out that way, what kind of advice you got to pass along? What kind of critters do I need to watch for? What kind of plants to avoid?

Where’s the best views of the Grand Canyon? We are planning on going in early June right after school gets out. Is that a good time to go or wait?

Thanks!

Participant

How old are the boys?

Participant

Two legged vermin are far more worrisome than the flora and fauna.

Participant

In the desert if it’s green it has spines or thorns. If it’s an insect, reptile or furearing, it stings, bites stinks or major pain. Two legged, see post above. Never camp in dry riverbed or gulch. People die every year in flash floods from thunderstorms miles away. The biggest pain I had was scorpions. They love boots, sleeping and any things else they can hid in. Rattles, gilas ect are protected in most states out there. Flaming Gorge would be a great starting spot.

fishhookfishhook
    Participant

Quote by: kenhump

How old are the boys?

They are 12 and 15.

Participant

I grew up in the southwest. I spent a lot of time out in the mountains hiking with friends in the Mojave and Great Basin area.

Things to worry about would be snakes and black widow spiders. I’ve never seen a rattlesnake out in the wild, but they are out there. Black Widow spiders are all over, but you’ll mostly find them in shaded areas. They make pretty big webs in cracks and crevices so that’s what to look for in spotting those. Their webs are like spread apart cotton with no specific form to them. Like a lazy spider just threw up some webs to see what was biting that day. They are glossy, all black and have a red hourglass mark on the bottom of the abdomen.

You might run into wild donkeys. They do bite so watch out for those. I cant think of much else that I would worry about. Snakes a critters mostly, oh, and mountain lions. There are mountain lions our there.

As far as plants, watch out for cacti. There are many different kinds and the worst are the ones with the fuzzy very fine needles. You can mistakenly grab one of those and get a hundred hair like needles in you.

I don’t know the best places in the Grand Canyon, last time I was there I was about 7 years old, but there is no short trip to the bottom. It’s a serious hike if you plan to hike down and back out, dont take it lightly. Seeing the sunrise over the Grand Canyon is pretty cool. We made sure to be up early one morning to witness a Grand Canyon sunrise.

The southwest is great. I do miss it.

fishhookfishhook
    Participant

That’s just the type of info I’m looking for. Thanks!

Participant

The cactus he is talking about is Cholla cactus, also known as jumping cactus because the spines embed so easily. We had a student pilot who was getting parachute training. They were parasailing and one student got caught in a large dust devil and dragged thru a Cholla. We hauled him to main base and they spent several hours hot waxing him.
    Four Corners is interest and the Mesa Verde cliff dwellings near by are awesome.

fishhookfishhook
    Participant

Four corners is on the list. Aloong with the Great sand dunes, Grand staircase, Bryce canyon, and bears ears.

Participant

Take a good camera. Many of the shots will be distant.

Participant

Quote by: fishhook

Four corners is on the list. Aloong with the Great sand dunes, Grand staircase, Bryce canyon, and bears ears.

Just before you get to the sand dunes on the East side of the road is a place called Zapata Falls, the lane up to the parking lot is like going off road driving that is doable with a compact car even though it doesn’t look like it. From the parking lot, it’s a short hick uphill I’d say 1/4 mile to the water fall. to see the water fall, you’ll have to wade up a shallow stream (water is cold ) into a small rock canyon to see the water fall.
    On the Grand Canyon, I’d say go to the Main park ride the bus that will be free all the way out to Hermit’s point and walk the rim trail back to Mather point / visitor center. By doing this, most the trail walking is a slight down hill walk, the trail right on the rim edge pretty much the whole distance. The view from the trail is simply awesome compared to just going to the lookout point’s. Take refillable water bottle with you, there’s places along the way to fill it.
    Be sure to get a National Park pass before heading out. It cost something like $80.00 it’s worth it do to the Grand Canyon entry fee is like 30.00 or 35.00 buck’s a car and the Sand Dunes is the same. So if you hit any other National Parks it would pay for itself. Plan a whole day at the canyon hiking the rim trail and I’d say drive hwy 64/ Desert View Dr out to the other view point’s. A must stop the boy’s will enjoy that way is Desert View Watchtower, also known as the Indian Watchtower at Desert View, just google it.

fishhookfishhook
    Participant

Excellent. Anyone else know of any hideaways we should visit?

WapelloMarkWapelloMark
    Participant

Quote by: fishhook

Excellent. Anyone else know of any hideaways we should visit?

I’m gonna fish your honey holes while you’re gone :mrgreen:

Participant

check into hiking down the grand canyon. YOu can camp at the bottom along the river. The Indians own this part of the grand canyon. It is very pretty with lots of blue lagoon tide pools and waterfalls. Not what you think of for the grand canyon. The also own lodge at the bottom. If your thinking about a room call ahead ====it fills up quickly. We hiked down and loved it. robbie.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.