Home Forums Hunting Waterfowling Snow Geese

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Quote by: iowapackfan

Quo
    te by b wfisher

I saw 36,567 ���½ snow geese flying over Oskaloosa at noon today. Just inside orbit. 😀

cool,but what happened to the 1/2 goose?…failed to reach orbit, I bet

LOL was just trying to make someone laugh!! 😀
    At least someone caught that!!

Participant

swan refuge is stacked full. chichaqua has large numbers.
    have heard reports of some pass shooting/sky blasting in a few areas but the flocks are so big and showed up so quick haven’t heard of any field hunters. if they around this weekend, might try to get everyone together if we have access to a field they are hitting. hope to scout central IA on friday to find out.

Participant

Drove east out of Dixon Ia. This morning and watched aboit 1000 snows/blues, specks feeding about a mile out of town. The most I’ve seen on the ground at one time in that area for a while. Curious to see if they hang around for a while or just stop and go

Participant

Kid at work shot a bunch near Obama while field hunting yesterday. He was actually near Onawa but my phone changed it and I chose to leave it.

Participant

Have some in La Porte

Participant

Just heard a bunch. Real high. Full moon. Real high. Canada raising he’ll out by the areator.

Participant

I have a flock of something on a field I have access too.
    In flight, under belly is white, wings are black full lenght of the wing.
    Orange beak and feet.
    Light brown/grey head and body.
    Cant find a good picture on google help identify.

Participant

Those would be specks

Participant

Quote by: Spionhund

I have a flock of something on a field I have access too.
    In flight, under belly is white, wings are black full lenght of the wing.
    Orange beak and feet.
    Light brown/grey head and body.
    Cant find a good picture on google help identify.

As already mentioned, those are “specks” or specklebellies. In terms of eating them, they are highly regarded among other goose species, but we don’t see a lot of them in eastern Iowa during the fall. In the spring though, there is a better chance of seeing them all across the state. Specks cannot be shot during the special snow goose spring hunts either. It is really cool to see them though.

Participant

Iowa is so weird. I have only watched 2 specs come through during the fall.

In the spring we get loaded up with them.

Participant

I did find a flock in another field that I know are snows. Seems like you could inch along the treeline and get a jump on em. But…I am a big chicken when it comes to knocking on doors.

Participant

Snow geese for some reason are the easiest thing to get permission to shoot. People just don’t care about them.

Participant

Was down in the river bottoms yesterday near Sloan and Onawa.
    Geese and ducks by the tens of thousands
    . Just standing in the parking lot at Winnavegas for a couple minutes I counted over a dozen species. They were just tunneling in at an awesome rate. North wind was screaming.

IaCraigIaCraig
    Participant

Friday afternoon March 2nd I saw a large flock (many thousands) feeding in fields about 4 miles west of Knoxville, so they are/were at RedRock too. Some juveniles, but seemed mostly to be adult geese. Then I was home with the flu bug Monday & Tuesday and saw a lot of Snows and blues, they were in the air again this morning, so they must have stayed overnight at the ville. Maybe a higher percent of juveniles than a week ago, but still alot of adult geese.

Participant

What wowed me was wing set tumbling in. Canada’s, snows, light geese, duvets, several bigger ducks I couldn’t I’D. Some of the geese were landing within 100′ of road.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.