Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting Sniffed One out on Sunday

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Took my daughter and the hounds out Saturday Am. We cast a couple hounds out and then quickly jumped one and the race was on. Didn’t take took long to catch up with him. Dogs have been running great lately.

My daughter was pretty proud of her catch of the day.

jimneyjimney
    Participant

Good looking dog! Congrats. Looks like they are priming up nicely.

Participant

Couple of good looking hounds! Makes me wanna load mine up but I got to wait til second season shotgun is over in my area then it will be game on! Whats the blood line on them runners?

Participant

Great smile… Great pic…

Participant

I agree about the gun season timing. That is when I will put the pressure on as well. I have just a few places that are okay to hunt until gun season is over…These two are foxhounds out of Smokin Booney kennels. They produce a lot of top notch coyote hounds with good noses and speed. I would have to get the papers out to get in more detail than that.
    What do you run? How many hounds are you feeding?

Participant

Do they catch and kill or do they just bay and wait for you to kill? I have some friends in Oklahoma that use gray hound to catch them. They said most of the times the gray hounds will kill the coyotes before they get there.

jimneyjimney
    Participant

My experience is that you aren’t going to bay or “hold” a coyote unless he’s in some kind of protected area like a tube or a brush pile. If the hounds catch him, they would have to kill him. The cats can get into trees, being the main difference. Not trying to answer for everyone, but that’s all I’ve seen.

Participant

It all depends on how many dogs are on them. I only run 2-3 . I feed 3 and that’s enough..lol One dog goes back to the Daniel boone breading, My main dog is out of the Hemi dog from Winterset. My dogs will catch them and bay them unless a coyote is aggressive then my Hemi dog will return the favor. Yes gray hounds are sight runners they run to catch and kill. Iowa is hard on gray hounds because of ditches and fences they will run right into them.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.