Home Forums Miscellaneous Outdoor Tidbits Smoky Mountains

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Thinking about taking the family to the Smoky Mountains (area) over spring break and looking for any input on ideas on activities, things to see, etc from any of those that have been there. Kids are 20, 18, 16. Thanks in advance!

Participant

Gatlinburg area is great.
    P.S. If you have a serious photographer in the bunch the skyline can offer some awesome shot.

Participant

Quote by: kenhump

Gatlinburg area is great.
    P.S. If you have a serious photographer in the bunch the skyline can offer some awesome shot.

So far this area is where we are leaning. Looks like hiking, rafting? amd maybe renting a jeep to cruise the mountains????

Participant

Cade’s cove is a great motor trail with good waterfall hikes on the way out. Great place to see bear and other wildlife as well. Went a couple times as a kid and just back a few years ago. Love the Gatlinburg area!

On.IowaOn.Iowa
    Participant

Gatlinburg is a great area, but be aware that it’s a MAJOR tourist trap. If you go during a busy season, it’s an absolute madhouse. There’s pretty much 1 road through town, and it barely moves when it’s busy. You can walk faster than drive. If you want more outdoorsy solitude, you’re better off entering the park somewhere else. I’ve heard Cherokee, NC is very nice and much less touristy if that’s more what interests you. Personally, if you’re not intending on going to Dollywood (which the kids would likely enjoy), Gatlinburg may not be your thing.

Participant

The streams will be damn cold for rafting. During spring break.
    Ya, mid may to Sept can be a zoo.

Participant

Whitewater rafting with Ocoee Rafting in Ducktown, TN. I believe it’s the same river that was used for all the whitewater sports in the 1996 Olympic games. If you’re down there you need to drive the Dragons Tail and see the Tree of Shame. I drove my Harley down there and its like 312 switchback turns in 11 miles.

That area is the most scenic I’ve seen in the lower 48, more beautiful than the Rockies. Only to the outdone by the mountains, oceans and fjords in Alaska.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.