Home Forums Miscellaneous Iowa Outdoors Cookbook — Recipes Smokin’ for $21.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I scored a good deal the other day. As many of you already know, there are several K-Mart stores closing and selling out on closeout.

I was walking thru the back of a Big-K and found an unopened box for a smoker. Asked the store clerk what it was priced.

$21 + Tax! 😀 It isn’t a very high end model, but it will get me back to smoking again. I had previously given up on my vertical Brinkman charcoal unit. It was too difficult to regulate.

This one is electric and was previously marked for sale for $119.

Check out your local closeouts if you can! Kenhump suggested carp and/or bullheads to me. Good luck on your good finds!
    Kev

Participant
    Up
    Down

WOW THAT”S A GREAT PRICE!!!!!!!! Sorry I had to say it… gr8 find Tom

Participant
    Up
    Down

Great find, should get some stuff done with that. 😀

Participant
    Up
    Down

For $21 you got a great deal, even if it only lasts a year. Sweet find.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I had one of these great little smoker for the money, even better for 21$. mine rusted out at the floor. probably due to my lack of cleaning. id sugest lining bottom with foil or something that is easy to take out and dispose to make cleaning easy.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Great deal. Add northern to your list. Gut and gill them. Then pour boiling water over them. The scales and slime will wash right off. Cut into 2-3” steaks. Best if you can get some at least 4-5#. By far the best smoked fish I have ever had. Perfect, not too oily or dry. Do the head as well. Besides presentation, there is some good meat on the to of the scull.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I’d for sure be on that deal if I knew of a closing K-Mart. The one here in Iowa City is like a *censored*roach in a nuclear apocalypse. Dirty, nasty, hard to tell what its purpose even is, but it just will not die.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: speng5

I’d for sure be on that deal if I knew of a closing K-Mart. The one here in Iowa City is like a *censored*roach in a nuclear apocalypse. Dirty, nasty, hard to tell what its purpose even is, but it just will not die.

The last one left in DM is like that also.

Participant
    Up
    Down

WOW! I would say you scored good KEV-CAT. I have the same one and will say it keeps the temp well but I’m having trouble getting the smoke where I like it. I don’t want a real heavy smoke but want it stronger than what I have done on this. Also you will need to play with the water tray to adjust the moisture you want. If you are doing any meat that has alot of fat or maybe any time use it, where you don’t care for dripping stains and cleanup set it on something to catch it. Now I know it sounds like I’m bad on it, I’m not saying I hate it, just things I’m working on it.
    Kev-Cat I’m interested how your findings go.
    Thanks!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.