Home Forums Miscellaneous Iowa Outdoors Cookbook — Recipes Smoker. Gas or electric or charcoal

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ve tried several smokers over the last 40 years or so. Never did like propane or any gas set up. Real BBQ requires meat being cooked over wood so it’s charcoal for me. I have a pit barrel cooker although I don’t have tons of experience with it yet, but it’s great for ribs. Still, I believe the Weber Smokey Mountain smoker to be the best of the bunch. You know, pork butts are pretty easy and can be great off just about any decent smoker. I’ve done several that turned out great on a Weber grill with a Smokenator on it (another good option that is inexpensive). But, take a brisket. Kinda’ tricky to get it right. The best brisket I’ve ever eaten came off my Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker. Quite a few other people told me the same thing. I love smoking and eating smoked meat and the only thing negative I can think of is the price of the cuts of meat. A good informative website for smoking meats is AmazingRibs.com. Good luck to you and enjoy!

Participant

Check out gateway drum smokers. A little spend but very easy to control and it’s charcoal the food is amazing that comes off it.

Participant

I have the smokenater for the weber kettle, have the masterbuilt 30, weber smokey mountain 18, and yoder ys640 pellet cooker. At first I wasn’t found of the smoke flavor of the pellets but now it’s my favorite cooker. I even sold my holland gas grill and grill on my charcoal grill or ys640 with grill grates. For ease of use its ys640 or masterbuilt. The masterbuilt in my opinion don’t have much room but they make a bigger one now. For the best smoke flavor is the smokey mountain. But with all that said I’m in love with my yoder ys640 and actually only use it anymore. Whatever type of smoker you decide to get, spend the money and get what you can afford. If you buy something cheap it won’t hold temps well and you will be disappointed in you cooker. I’ve bought a cheap Brinkman years ago and it was awful, made me hate smoking meat until I bought something better and now I’m addicted. Tons of great advice on here. The biggest thing is just have fun. Good luck.

Participant

I must say lots of good advise here for you to think about while buying. One other question is to you want to be able to cook with direct or indirect heat.

Myself I use a SM045 Cookshack and love it,,,, this is a indirect smoker, again there are lots of questions you need to ask yourself before you buy. I am sure what ever you buy will not be your last one you buy.

Good Luck and Happy Smokin

Participant

I only smoke once a month or less depending on what’s going on and like the Masterbuilt electric I got from my brother. Have a smaller charcoal but was hard to keep the temp consistent. Electric is pretty easy and works pretty good for my needs. Along with a few chips I have some apple wood that I split up in smaller chuncks and will lay a couple on the heating element for extra smoke. Can’t complain with anything I’ve smoked in it and usually have request to bring something to family gatherings from the smoker. Not sure what I’ll get next if I stay with an electric or maybe try one of the Weber smokers.

IaCraigIaCraig
    Participant

You have to start somewhere so I suggest try it. A long time ago I had a brinkman version of the 7 in 1 Cabelas link, I disliked it as a gas grill and a charcoal grill but I never really tried it as a smoker. (I wish I still had it, because I suspect it would have been a good smoker).

Personally I currently own 3 smokers. 1 Big Chief electric smoker which served me well and I still use for many things.. The con was low capacity and having to finish cooking sausage & brisket or pork in the oven. So I went to a tall propane gas smoker as my primary smoker for almost 10 years, loved the temp range and the large capacity for sticks but the cons are the temp was affected by wind and would sometimes even blow out and in the summer I couldn’t generate smoke without getting it hotter than I wanted. My most recent is a real heavy Off-Set smoker, which for me is by far the hardest to master and takes the most baby sitting. (I am stuborn, I will get it)

No idea what my next one will be, but they all have advantages and disadvantages. Heck, by using Amazing smoker tubes and trays, I’ve had good smoked success just using a gas grill.

frmboybuckfrmboybuck
    Participant

I started with a gas smoker, then went to charcoal, then I bought a Yoder pellet smoker. Best money I ever spent. They aren’t cheap, but they aren’t cheaply made either

Participant

I used my Weber charcoal grill as a smoker from time to time, then got a Brinkman Smoke’N Grill set up for charcoal. That worked pretty good for the most part, but I got tired of charcoal temp fluctuation, so I bought the electric element for it. Still have it, but don’t use it as much since getting a LP fired Char-Broil Big Easy 18,000 BTU infrared smoker, roaster and grill. It’s not a “low and slow” cooker, a turkey can be done in a 2-3 hours during which time you might burn two hoppers of wood chips. I’m not known for patience, so for me it’s a good fit. 😉 People have raved about the BBQ it’s cranked out. I like the basket, bought more half-racks so that I can get more layers in it if I’m drying jerky or have other thin meat like pork chops to smoke. Reminds me I should plan a session sometime soon.

Participant

my first smoker was a masterbuilt gas, still have it. I also have a Oklahoma joes longhorn offset smoker that I love. the gasser is a lot easier to control the heat but wont fit a whole rack of ribs without cutting them in half and depending where you keep it they tend to rust out fairly fast. The longhorn is a lot more work. I’m running a bbq guru with it that controls your charcoal temp but that’s about a 250 $$ add , but definitely worth it. so much more room and in my opinion a overall better taste to the meat. if you don’t mind the prep work and sitting out babysitting I would go charcoal, but if your just starting and want to stay under 200 I wouldn’t hesitate to get a gas smoker. it still puts out a great bbq, I’m sure everyone will still eat it no matter what you use 😀

Participant

Wow. Everyone has a great opioions. BBQ is almost a religion! I ended up getting the gas Cabela’s smoker. Cheap starter and I will at least get my feet wet and go from there. It has a charcoal smoking option. So I can dabble in that too. Can wait to try it. Do I dare ask for good rub or pork recipe? Or is that like asking for a food spot on public ground???? If so I’ll pass and figure it out myself 😯

Participant

I have a green mountain and it works really well, wish I had the ys640. am currently building a pit barrel.
    check out malcom reed on you tube.

Participant

Quote by: dart383

Wow. Everyone has a great opioions. BBQ is almost a religion! I ended up getting the gas Cabela’s smoker. Cheap starter and I will at least get my feet wet and go from there. It has a charcoal smoking option. So I can dabble in that too. Can wait to try it. Do I dare ask for good rub or pork recipe? Or is that like asking for a food spot on public ground???? If so I’ll pass and figure it out myself 😯

Congratulations! Now you have something to get started with and see how you like it. You’ll also get a good idea of what features you want in your next smoker. BBQ is like a religion and people take it seriously and personally.

Now ask everyone about their favorite rub or if you should use BBQ sauce or not!

Participant

What kinda pork? Spares ribs, baby back ribs, pork butt, pork belly, loin? You can use the same rub on all of them BUT they are prepared differently. You figure out what you want to smoke and watch some youtube videos. Pork butt would be a good first cook and is more forgiving. There’s so many rubs out there to buy or even recipes, you will just have to see what you like. Check out smoking meat fourms. Let us know what you decide to use and smoke. Post some pictures if you can.

Participant

Quote by: dart383

Just google the type of meat you’re wanting to smoke and there will be plenty of youtube help from preparing it to smoking it. Some might even be using the same type smoker you have if you ask for pork loin on gas smoker.

Participant

Well i wud first suggest that you evaluate if you are an event griller/smoker..4th of july.. birthdays..etc.. if so then you would want a larger smoker to accommodate the number of guests .. then if you decide on a bigger smoker you then must decide if you are an actiive tenderer of the grill or a set it and forget it type of person..large jobs like brisket or bacon do not need much tendering.. if you like to drink beer or whatever during the process then you might want a different type…one that is not so automatic..

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.