Home Forums Miscellaneous Iowa Outdoors Cookbook — Recipes Smoked venison roasts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I pulled the trigger and bought a Camp Chef Smokepro DLX pellet grill/smoker a few weeks back. I am amazed at the ease and enjoyment as well as the quality and flavor of meat I’ve been able to deliver from this appliance. I am interested in smoking some venison roasts and slicing thin for dried “beef”. Does anybody have a favorite rub and recipe that would like to share?

Participant
    Up
    Down

I have been wanting to do this but I haven’t gotten around to it. I would brine then smoke. You need to be careful with it to not dry it out.

Check out Steven Rinella he has some brine stuff he does. He also injects it.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I have done “Dried beef” with deer. For the cure I went 1 part Mortons tenderquick to 1 part brown sugar. I think it was 1 tablespoon of cure per lb of meat. Rub the roasts with the cure/sugar ratioed out to each roast, and put each roast in it’s own ziploc. The cure supposededly can penetrate 1/4″ per day from each side. So if your roast is 2″ thick, at 1/2″ a day it would cure in 4 days, then add 2 more days just to make sure it penetrates fully. It wont over cure so if you go longer it is ok.
    Then I smoked until temp hit 160, but worked to it slowly. It could have gone longer at a lower temp, to get more of a dried product. PM if you have more questions or dont understand something.

IaCraigIaCraig
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I usually buy a dried beef/pastrami kit, but I am a big fan of Eldons. (been using them for supplies since before the internet) And I have tried many of their free recipes they have on their site and they turn out great so far. Here is one for dried beef/deer that I have not tried and I am surprised it doesn’t have brown sugar in it, yet but it sounds like exactly what you want and I bet it will turn out nicely.

http://www.eldonsausage.com/Dried-Smoked-Beef-Venison-Recipe-s/1965.htm

Participant
    Up
    Down

You guys rock and thank you for the help!

My kids and wife love the dried beef and I would rather make this instead of grinding it all up.

Thanks again!

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: CRIA1576

My kids and wife love the dried beef and I would rather make this instead of grinding it all up.

Thanks again!

I made some from backstraps last year and they were amazing! But any old hind quarter roast will work, just have to cure longer for a thicker roast like the sirloin.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Have never made dried beef/venison but I can vouch for Eldon’s Sausage and Jerky Supply. We always use the Legg’s Old Plantation sausage seasonings from Eldons’s. I also use Morton’s TenderQuick, 1 tablespoon per pound of meat in my bacon and Canadian Bacon recipes.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Roger that Asgrow and that sounds great! I will finish butchering our 5th deer for this year tomorrow, and we have plenty for experimentation!

IaCraigIaCraig
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Thanks again!

I wish you well, home deer processing is a fun hobby…………… 1 last thing, for dried beef I like an electric slicer to get those near paper thin slices. Sometimes mine turns out a touch too dry to get good slices suitable for dill pickle wrap hors d’oeuvres, but it still tastes good on mini-reuben *censored*tail sandwiches or in dill pickle cream cheese dip or creamed gravy over anything etc.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I have done “Dried beef” with deer. For the cure I went 1 part Mortons tenderquick to 1 part brown sugar. I think it was 1 tablespoon of cure per lb of meat. Rub the roasts with the cure/sugar ratioed out to each roast, and put each roast in it’s own ziploc. The cure supposededly can penetrate 1/4″ per day from each side. So if your roast is 2″ thick, at 1/2″ a day it would cure in 4 days, then add 2 more days just to make sure it penetrates fully. It wont over cure so if you go longer it is ok.
    Then I smoked until temp hit 160, but worked to it slowly. It could have gone longer at a lower temp, to get more of a dried product. PM if you have more questions or dont understand something.

This recipe is great. I use it as a rub like TeamAsgro does or another way to use it is to go to your local Veterinarian and get the biggest syringe and needle that he has mix the rub with water and inject it. Use it for pheasant quail, turkeys or whatever.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: IaCraig

Thanks again!

I wish you well, home deer processing is a fun hobby…………… 1 last thing, for dried beef I like an electric slicer to get those near paper thin slices. Sometimes mine turns out a touch too dry to get good slices suitable for dill pickle wrap hors d’oeuvres, but it still tastes good on mini-reuben *censored*tail sandwiches or in dill pickle cream cheese dip or creamed gravy over anything etc.

The closer I get the final temp to 160 the drier it gets. I think if you pull it closer to 152 it will be more pliable for pickle wraps! With my dried deer I make “Pickle Wrap dip” Cream cheese, dill pickles chopped and dried deer chopped then mixed together, serve it on crackers. It is good!

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

Thanks again!

The closer I get the final temp to 160 the drier it gets. I think if you pull it closer to 152 it will be more pliable for pickle wraps! With my dried deer I make “Pickle Wrap dip” Cream cheese, dill pickles chopped and dried deer chopped then mixed together, serve it on crackers. It is good!

That is a good dip, I do the same. sometimes I will chop up bagel bites and dunk them in it, very yummy!

IaCraigIaCraig
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

Thanks again!

That is what I meant by dill pickle cream cheese dip. 😀

Participant
    Up
    Down

Yeah, I clearly didn’t quite read your whole post…but now my secret recipe is out there! :mrgreen:

Participant
    Up
    Down

Go to YouTube look up malcom reed how to bbq right . He is the man and has a smoked venison loin video. You probably end up watching a 100 of his videos

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.