Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Has anybody smoked carp before? Ive had it before and liked it and wanted to make some, but cant find much online.

Participant
    Up
    Down

You need a really big pipe or lots of papers :mrgreen:

I would rather smoke buffalo. Salt/sugar/garlic brine for a day or so. Then smoke, I smoke it lightly at a low temp for an extended period. Turns out pretty good.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I’ve gone to a dry brine lately. I think it works well and tastes great–follow the instructions, especially let the pellicle form

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

You need a really big pipe or lots of papers :mrgreen:

I would rather smoke buffalo. Salt/sugar/garlic brine for a day or so. Then smoke, I smoke it lightly at a low temp for an extended period. Turns out pretty good.

I have never done it myself but I had smoked buffalo last year and I thought it was better than carp.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Not trying to hijack thread. What’s the difference between a carp and a buffalo and why do you prefer one over the other?

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: mhock

Not trying to hijack thread. What’s the difference between a carp and a buffalo and why do you prefer one over the other?

Buffalo is native and better tasting.

Participant
    Up
    Down

We always did the wet brine and 10 pounds and under always tasted better. Out of a sand pit they tasted better than out of a river.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I always use kosher or ‘sea salt’. No iodine.

Participant
    Up
    Down

The wet brine has worked well for me. Just weigh your meat and measure salt and water. Follow brine times and smoke away. I got my recipes from a smoking book that I have seen at Barnes and noble as well as advertised in FFG.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Brad+Phillips

The wet brine has worked well for me. Just weigh your meat and measure salt and water. Follow brine times and smoke away. I got my recipes from a smoking book that I have seen at Barnes and noble as well as advertised in FFG.

Is it called “Smoke and Spice”?

Participant
    Up
    Down

I always had a thing for scary spice. 😀

OldbearOldbear
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Less boney. Also I use wet brine.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

Participant
    Up
    Down

Buffalo are a filter feeder, common carp are well, common carp and eat anything.

I think that has something to do with the taste.

Buffalo are threatened by the Bighead and Silver Carp that are also filter feeders but much more prolific breeders. BTW Bighead and Silver smoke very nicely as well.

IaCraigIaCraig
    Participant
    Up
    Down

It has been a few years, but I have smoked carp many times. I prefer the 2-5 lb ones, but I imagine you can do larger ones too. For recipes – if you do a google on “Little Chief”, you can find a smoker cookbook in PDF format. It has a couple fish brine recipes in it, and those are the ones I usually use. (the ones with brown sugar) I’ve heard a lot of people say they like smoked catfish, I want to try to make that this summer. Most recently I smoked a couple Salmon fillets from Costco, and they turned out great.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Thanks for tips, now I just need to catch some 😀

Participant
    Up
    Down

🙂

Brine is good by mixing Kosher salt (purchased in any grocery store—blue box)–add water, and tarragon leaves or powder. Makes for nice brine. Also, you can just use kosher salt and water. Make sure to use the brine with carp inside non-metallic container. Big 5 gallon pickle buckets are great. If you cant find pickle bucket, just buy one at Menards or Walmart. I like to get mine from the cooks by being nice. Please, thank you and chocolcate works well. Anyhow, place the carp in the bucket after having cut all the scaly side off and gutting the fish. I keep the scaly side and when smoking place the fish on the skinned side. Works great.

You want to place the 5 gallon bucket in the fridge overnight to let the brine cure work its magic. Same as for using brie on turkey—salt and water.

Next day fire up the grill, get the wood in the tender box and when ready place fish in the smoker. Smoke at low temps and smoke longer, but works better. Lot of guys will use cheap spritezer bottle to spritz the fish with apple juice every so often or just slather brown sugar on top as it gets close to done.

Make sure to pull when cooked and remove all the bones. This is the part that sucks. Every carp species has lots of bones. Once removed the carp meat is really good. You can mix it with cream cheese and herbs placed on crackerss. Nice little snack. You can freeze the carp that is smoked and pull out 2 months from now. Nice to have for little snack with adult beverage.

So go to the Gavins PPoint dam and the bow fisherman will give you some speared carp. Two weeks ago they were smoking them from the bank and boast. Tons of carp. Some of those guys have platforms on the front of jon boats and big plastic drums in center of boats. Makes me wonder if they are going commercial. Good Luck and have fun smoking some carp. Just make sure to clean the grill grates or it will stink to to high heaven. robbie

Participant
    Up
    Down

I like to add some brown sugar to my brine for anything. Like the added flavor!

Participant
    Up
    Down

I like to add brown sugar to my brine for about everything. Give added flavor.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Sorry, double post!

IaCraigIaCraig
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: rericsson

🙂
    Anyhow, place the carp in the bucket after having cut all the scaly side off and gutting the fish. I keep the scaly side and when smoking place the fish on the skinned side. Works great.

I can see where that would work well. I scale the carp, then fillet out the backbone leaving rib bones in tact and smoke skin side down. I have also smoked without scaling, and once it dries from smoking I never noticed the scales because you don’t eat the skin anyway. But, I feel better serving to company when I remove the scales.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.