Home Forums Fishing Catfishing sinker size

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Participant

A good tip.. find a piece of wire the diameter of the hole of an egg sinker, or close to it but bigger than your line, and thread it though the sinker. Lay the sinker on a concrete floor and hit it as hard as you can with a hammer. Remove the wire and you now have a no-roll sinker at half the cost. We used to do it with 1/8oz eggs for creek fishing a long time ago.

Quote by: Gill+Slaya

A good tip.. find a piece of wire the diameter of the hole of an egg sinker, or close to it but bigger than your line, and thread it though the sinker. Lay the sinker on a concrete floor and hit it as hard as you can with a hammer. Remove the wire and you now have a no-roll sinker at half the cost. We used to do it with 1/8oz eggs for creek fishing a long time ago.

Genious. Thanks for that I’m gonna convert some of my regular bank sinkers this weekend.

Participant

Quote by: moose07

Howdy all! Just joined 5 minutes ago, tons of excellent information on here. Can someone help me with sinker size? It seems when i use heavy sinkers i always get hung up or if i use a lighter sinker it drifts and i still get hung up. Im fishing rivers and using 1oz-2oz flat bank sinkers.

A few things that come to my mind when dealing with snags in current:

Use heavier sinkers. I bet your heavy sinkers are drifting like the lighter sinkers and are just getting hung up faster, unless the snag occurs when you are reeling in.
    Use smaller diameter fishing line.
    Use smaller hooks if you can.
    Use a shorter leader between the sinker and the hook.
    Use a dropper loop rig to keep the hook off the bottom.
    Work the area over until you find pockets where you don’t get hung up.
    Use a longer rod so you can keep more of the line out of the water.
    Work the area with weedless jigs.

Alot of times you have to live with the snags if you want to catch fish. Just make sure to use leaders with a lower lb test than what your main line is, so break offs aren’t a big deal.

Participant

What i was using was a slip rig with same pound test as the main line. Seems to me it didnt matter where i casted rather it was near a snag or in the middle of the river. Also im using the improved clinch knot with mono with 15 lb test. I make my own flat bait sinkers but still tired of loosing them. Im thinking about trying lighter leader weight so i only loose my hook and not the whole rig. Any thoughts or am i just overlooking something simple?

iowahunter78iowahunter78
    Participant

Use the lighter line on the sinker. Thats what is most likely snagging up.Then you only lose the weight not the whole rig.

Participant

Quote by: iowahunter78

Use the lighter line on the sinker. Thats what is most likely snagging up.Then you only lose the weight not the whole rig.

i assume you are talking about a three way rig. i think the poster is using an inline. great idea by the way. i think your on a solution. and like others have said always use lighter drop lines. but just like other fishing. your going to loose tackle!

Participant

I guess you could call it a Carolina rig also. I just bought 3 way swivels so im gonna try that out aswell.

Participant

Quote by: iowahunter78

If you use a heavy weight, its likely the most expensive part of your rig! We use that technique when trolling 3-ways for walleye though. 8-10# braid mainline, 4# mono dropper to the weight, 6-8# leader to the bait/hook.

Quote by: moose07

What i was using was a slip rig with same pound test as the main line. Seems to me it didnt matter where i casted rather it was near a snag or in the middle of the river. Also im using the improved clinch knot with mono with 15 lb test. I make my own flat bait sinkers but still tired of loosing them. Im thinking about trying lighter leader weight so i only loose my hook and not the whole rig. Any thoughts or am i just overlooking something simple?

If it is in a big river. Some could be snags others could be HUGE fish! Or fish are pulling your line into the snags if their is slack in the line?

Participant

I like to use 1 oz no roll sinkers, I bought I think 50 or 100 on ebay last year for less than $10. I try to use as small of sinker as I can get away with. Then again throwing my whole rig out into the middle of the river and wanting it to hold is pretty much a waste of time. I try to cast where it is going to drift anyway (i.e. into an eddy or in front of a wood pile). I also know people who get real bend out of shape when they lose a rig, I lose stuff constantly and just chalk it up to being where the fish are.

Participant

I like to use 1 oz no roll sinkers, I bought I think 50 or 100 on ebay last year for less than $10. I try to use as small of sinker as I can get away with. Then again throwing my whole rig out into the middle of the river and wanting it to hold is pretty much a waste of time. I try to cast where it is going to drift anyway (i.e. into an eddy or in front of a wood pile). I also know people who get real bend out of shape when they lose a rig, I lose stuff constantly and just chalk it up to being where the fish are.

Participant

I use the tear drops in the river and whatever in the lakes I fish. I have gotten a little lazy, most the time I use a tear drop or egg sinker behind a swivel and then I use the pre-tied eagle claw hooks with the line on them. Has worked for many years but then ken got me hooked on that trolling the last few years and now I like my bait to float some………. 😀

Participant

My box has sinkers that go from 3/8oz all the way up to 12oz. Just have to match to the current most of the time where we fish a 3oz no roll works the best. We fish the Missouri a lot so there’s a lot of current just have to fish the breaks

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.