Home Forums Fishing Catfishing sinker size

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Howdy all! Just joined 5 minutes ago, tons of excellent information on here. Can someone help me with sinker size? It seems when i use heavy sinkers i always get hung up or if i use a lighter sinker it drifts and i still get hung up. Im fishing rivers and using 1oz-2oz flat bank sinkers.

iowahunter78iowahunter78
    Participant

Trial and error….I start light and add as needed just enough to hold it where I want it. I try to use as little weight as possible.

Participant

Quote by: moose07

Howdy all! Just joined 5 minutes ago, tons of excellent information on here. Can someone help me with sinker size? It seems when i use heavy sinkers i always get hung up or if i use a lighter sinker it drifts and i still get hung up. Im fishing rivers and using 1oz-2oz flat bank sinkers.

From shore or boat?

Participant

This time it was from shore.

Participant

Why not try egg sinkers and try a Carolina Rig? You can all ways use lighter sinkers an line them up on the line to get it to hold. And the small sinkers will not hang up as easy either.

Participant

With the small sinkers won’t the current not let it sink or flow into a snag then?

Participant

If it’s to small it will either drift into A snag or right up to the bank. I use walking sinkers in the river they seem to hold pretty well in most cases and if that doesn’t work I got A mold for 4-8 oz egg sinkers although I have never used A sinker that big.

Participant

The smaller sinkers are line up the line you can use 1 to 20 small ones instead of one big one say 5-6oz. size. I have used 1/2oz sinkers and added 6 of them they held better than one 3oz egg. And did not snag as easy either you could use 1oz and add them up to what you need to hold your bait right where you want.

Participant

I use no roll sinkers and if the current is bad one large egg sinker in front of the no roll. Seems to work ok for me.

Participant

Quote by: cuda

The smaller sinkers are line up the line you can use 1 to 20 small ones instead of one big one say 5-6oz. size. I have used 1/2oz sinkers and added 6 of them they held better than one 3oz egg. And did not snag as easy either you could use 1oz and add them up to what you need to hold your bait right where you want.

Never gave that any thought but I have some spots that this may work real well in.

Participant

Quote by: moose07

Might be your rig and not the weight size/shape. Maybe try experimenting with different rigging techniques.

Participant

Thanks for all the information, I guess I have a lot to think about for my next rigging option.

Participant

If you’re fishing in current from the shore, you’ll need more weight than if fishing from a boat. In either case, if you are still fishing, not trolling or drifting, you should use a flat (no roll)sinker so that it won’t roll down the river. You’re still going to get plenty of movement because you are fishing cross current and the friction on your line is going to pull the sinker and bait down stream. As someone else mentioned, you’ll need to experiment to see how much weight to use in the current to hold your bait where you want it. If you cast your line slightly down stream…quartering the current…your rig won’t move as far.

Good luck in your next adventure…Ken

OldbearOldbear
    Participant

I rig pretty much carolina style. I use to use egg sinkers but have quit as it doesn’t matter how heavy they are they will roll to the side. I use flat slip sinkers that are in the shape of a large tear drop in anywhere from 1oz to 5oz with a bead between the swivel snap and sinker.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

alan_50501alan_50501
    Participant

I know guys around here who fish the river and some use weight from 2 ounce sinkers up to 10 ounce

Fort dodge

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.