Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Shotgun season

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

So I’m thinking about going out deer hunting for my first time. I’m pretty much limited to public land. I was wondering if you guys prefer 1st or 2nd season. I’d imagine 1st has less hunting pressure, but is shorter, and 2nd has more pressure, but is longer. Which season would be my best chance of getting a deer?

Participant

If you have the time the longer season might be better.  You can spend more time actually hunting deer.  When I was young I spent most of a Fall & early Winter hunting deer.  Carried a 22 to shoot squirrels etc with but I was trying to become a better deer hunter.  This helped me a lot.  If you are new the longer season will shorten your learning curve.  I hunt the 1st season at an area 130 miles away.  I now tend to hunt the hunters which means I try to learn how the surrounding hunters hunt and I hunt where the chance of them unknowingly pushing deer to me is better.

Participant

If it’s anything like it is here in NE Iowa then sooner is usually better. Every piece of public land usually has a few hunters in it and the deer are on the alert from then on. But then you don’t have as long but I agree with heuy try to sit somewhere tht could potentially be overlooked by most hunters. The deer definitely hole up in those little patches of timber when the main woods are being pushed.

Participant

Well it definitely seems that as soon as 1st season opens, there’s lots of trigger happy idiots just by hearing all the gun shots, and you’ll definitely see alot of lazy people waiting near their trucks for a deer to come out.

Participant

if you are looking  223 ammo that’s a good price you found here. </span>

Participant

What are you talking about?

Participant

Which tool you are using for hunting? Do you ever try survival knife ? I want to know the best review.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.