Home Forums Hunting General Hunting Sharpening Stone Suggestions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I am looking to get my dad a new sharpening stone for a Christmas gift. Do any of you have sharpening stones that you would highly recommend? If so, what’s the brand?

Wasn’t quite sure which forum to post this on, but figured it’s relevant enough to hunting.

Participant

I would say the type of stone I might recommend would be somewhat dependent on the type of tool to be sharpened. If you are talking strictly sharpening of knives, I like a Lansky (sp?) sharpener.

Sharpening an axe, chisel, gouge, broadhead or other tools will require something much different.

Participant

Depending on what you want to spend. Get him a work sharp knife sharper! I have used stones, and diamond sticks for AGES, and used to be able to a scary edge on knives. Now with arthritis and age not so much. Bought a work sharp unit. ( recommended by my daughter who works in a slaughter plant and can REALLY sharpen a knife)
    So simple to use for ALL types of blades and puts on a sharp edge. I love mine!

Participant

I’m a fan of hard Arkansas stones, but I’ve been using them for 40 years and have it figured out. There is a learning curve to using a flat stone. Some of the rods and other sharpening systems take the learning curve out of it.

Participant

I like arkansas stones, but I find anymore I mostly use dmt diamond stones. There is a kit of 4 that I like but for individuals which one depends on how often you sharpen and how damaged the blades are. Black is mostly if I am reprofiling a knife of fixing a knife for someone, blue is pretty standard starting point, red and then green polish the edge. For most of mine I start on red, other peoples I usually start on blue and then go red then green.

For my carving tools I also use a 6000 grit japanese water stone and a pinewood forge strop with white gold compound. Knifes dont generally get that treatment although one might the night before hunting season opens.

Forget all the other systems, stones are the best if you can use them.

For axes and draw knifes I start with a file if needed, then tansky puck, then gransfors bruks puck.

Participant

Quote by: delmuts

Depending on what you want to spend. Get him a work sharp knife sharper! I have used stones, and diamond sticks for AGES, and used to be able to a scary edge on knives. Now with arthritis and age not so much. Bought a work sharp unit. ( recommended by my daughter who works in a slaughter plant and can REALLY sharpen a knife)

I can’t second this enough. I’ve got a “regular” dual-grit stone, a small Arkansas stone I keep in my hunting pack, and a 4000 grit Japanese water stone. This summer, I cashed in some Cabelas gift cards and got the Ken Onion edition Work Sharp tool. I haven’t used anything else since. Give me 5 minutes with a blade – even a fairly dull one – and I’ll have it sharper than the day it came out of the box.

I’d personally recommend the Ken Onion – it’s got adjustable blade guides, a better duty cycle rating on the motor, and variable speed

Participant

I just got a Work Sharp a couple of months ago. It is super easy and puts a very nice edge on everything. Highly recommend. I too have not used a stone since I got it.

Participant

He would be sharpening his hunting and fishing knives, and he has used a flat stone before.

I had not considered getting an electric one such as a Work Sharp, but I will have to look into it.

Participant

Quote by: northwoodsbucks

I like arkansas stones, but I find anymore I mostly use dmt diamond stones. There is a kit of 4 that I like but for individuals which one depends on how often you sharpen and how damaged the blades are. Black is mostly if I am reprofiling a knife of fixing a knife for someone, blue is pretty standard starting point, red and then green polish the edge. For most of mine I start on red, other peoples I usually start on blue and then go red then green.

For my carving tools I also use a 6000 grit japanese water stone and a pinewood forge strop with white gold compound. Knifes dont generally get that treatment although one might the night before hunting season opens.

Forget all the other systems, stones are the best if you can use them.

For axes and draw knifes I start with a file if needed, then tansky puck, then gransfors bruks puck.

He has only ever used a stone, as far as I can remember, even when he did some part time work in a meat shop. I will definitely check these out. Thanks for the suggestions!

stick500stick500
    Participant

I have a stone that my G-Grandfather had but I can’t tell if it’s supposed to be a whetstone or a dry stone. It’s rectangular shaped.

Any way of telling what kind it is?

I’ve been using it wet and seems to work pretty well with my fillet knife.

kelkel
    Participant

Quote by: dkwolf

I can’t second this enough. I’ve got a “regular” dual-grit stone, a small Arkansas stone I keep in my hunting pack, and a 4000 grit Japanese water stone. This summer, I cashed in some Cabelas gift cards and got the Ken Onion edition Work Sharp tool. I haven’t used anything else since. Give me 5 minutes with a blade – even a fairly dull one – and I’ll have it sharper than the day it came out of the box.

I’d personally recommend the Ken Onion – it’s got adjustable blade guides, a better duty cycle rating on the motor, and variable speed

I would second these 2 posts, use to use a stone but bought a work sharp, super easy to use. I do not have the Ken Onion addition and for what I use it for it works fine, mainly fillet, hunting and kitchen knives.

I bought mine at Northern Tool, on sell now with free shipping
    https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200431964_200431964

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200615233_200615233

Participant

Wholeheartedly agree 100% I have sharpened filet knives up to lawn mower blades with mine and it is an awesome tool for your workshop. This is also the sharpener that cabelas, BP, and other big box stores use when guys bring blades in for sharpening.

Participant

Quote by: copperyj

I just got a Work Sharp a couple of months ago. It is super easy and puts a very nice edge on everything. Highly recommend. I too have not used a stone since I got it.

x2. The Work Sharp is pretty spiffy and can also easily be used to sharpen things such as an axe and lawnmower blade. There are several different versions you can pick from and here is an example of a higher end model:

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Work-Sharp-Knife-and-Tool-Sharpener-Ken-Onion-Edition/productDetail/Electric-Sharpeners/prod999901368920/cat100814

Edit: I just realized there are a bunch of additional recommendations for this product after I posted my own. Can’t go wrong with a Work Sharp!

Participant

Those little belt sanders will eat up a edge on a knife fast! I use only flat stones and I have fixed a few knives that were chewed up bad by them. And the tips were messed up too! And all of that dust was your blade they take the life out of your knife by wearing the edge way to fast! I have a knife that is 30 years old that is yearly and the edge shows no big change from where it was when it was new. And it cleaned up 12 deer at one time and was still a shaving edge. The belt take way to much metal off way to fast stone may be slower but I fell like I get a way better edge on a stone! I have younger people think oh I will get one it will work like a dream. After two hunting knives and all of the kitchen knives all worn way to far for their age and still not really sharp. They go why did I ever even get this for! One guy chew up his grandpa’s knife with one and still did not get the edge he wanted!

Participant

Quote by: cuda

Those little belt sanders will eat up a edge on a knife fast! I use only flat stones and I have fixed a few knives that were chewed up bad by them. And the tips were messed up too! And all of that dust was your blade they take the life out of your knife by wearing the edge way to fast! I have a knife that is 30 years old that is yearly and the edge shows no big change from where it was when it was new. And it cleaned up 12 deer at one time and was still a shaving edge. The belt take way to much metal off way to fast stone may be slower but I fell like I get a way better edge on a stone! I have younger people think oh I will get one it will work like a dream. After two hunting knives and all of the kitchen knives all worn way to far for their age and still not really sharp. They go why did I ever even get this for! One guy chew up his grandpa’s knife with one and still did not get the edge he wanted!

That is probably true, but I have never been able to get my knives as sharp as when they first came out of the box using a sharpening stone. The Work Sharp does come with different belts, including coarse, medium, and fine. It won’t wear the blade quite as fast if you use the fine grit belt.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.