SF374? Anyone know anything about this?2019-03-11T07:37:43-05:00

Home Forums Hunting Firearms Legislation SF374? Anyone know anything about this?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

SF374 was written to allow use of artificial light for coyote hunting at night. Not a firearms legislation change, but closely related. Does anyone know anything about this? Last I heard it was recommended for approval by a subcommittee. I hope this law change happens.

Andy

ECFirearmsECFirearms
    Participant

Looks like it made it out of committee.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/billTracking/billHistory?billName=SF%20374&ga=88

“Second Amendment – Either you are helping pull the wagon, getting a free ride in the wagon, or trying to take away the wagon. Which one are you?” -- IAShooters

Participant

It went in as SF374 and came out as SF537.  It reads as infrared light source only mounted to the weapon or scope.

Participant

Well that would cover NV scopes for rifles.

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

Looks like it passed the senate (47 yes, 1 no) and will be discussed in the house subcommittee on Monday.  Progress.

My Christmas list would change if this bill was passed.  😉

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

Looks like this died, stalled, based on the link above in the thread???  Just checking if anyone else has heard something different?

Participant

Local officer told me previously that IR and NV scopes were legal as they do not “project a beam of light”. Either the officer was wrong or this legislation was just there to put it in writing.

Participant

As I understand it thermal is legal since no light is emitted.  Night vision scopes are legal when there is no extra IR illumination, ie using only natural ambient light. A night vision scope used with any IR illuminator is not legal since it still emits light even though the light is not visible to the naked eye.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!