Home Forums Fishing Catfishing Selkirk Red River Advice

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Participant

We are heading up in September with 2 boats and 4 guys. I’ve done the Drayton ND trip 4 or 5 times with much success. We will stop and fish Drayton for a one day break from the road and cross over to Selkirk the next day. I’m mainly looking to find out if there are any bait shops in the Selkirk area I should be aware of. I plan on crossing the border with some frozen bait and will definitely be on the hunt for fresh alternatives once we’re there. I am open for any tips of any type as bait availability is my biggest concern.

Can you take dead frozen leopard frogs over the border? We will have some shrimp, chubs, maybe sunfish to get us started.

Any and all tips of any type based on past experience are welcome.

Participant

Last time I was there, the bait shop was right by the dam. Can not remember the name, but had tackle and bait. Had the only boat ramp close and charged to put in there. The real bait was Goldeye that you had to catch up around the dam. Used bobber and piece of worm. Limit of 10. Had best luck with Goldeye fillet and leopard frogs. Gob of night crawlers worked too. I do not think you can import frogs, so check (maybe frozen is ok). If the wind is in the north, the river is full and easy to navigate. If the wind is in the south, it blows the water out and can be shallow. Hang on to your rods because the fish are not bashful. Lost one rod by laying it down in the boat to take off another fish. Gone before we could even react Hope this helps. Good luck.

Participant

Quote by: tomsamp

Last time I was there, the bait shop was right by the dam. Can not remember the name, but had tackle and bait. Had the only boat ramp close and charged to put in there. The real bait was Goldeye that you had to catch up around the dam. Used bobber and piece of worm. Limit of 10. Had best luck with Goldeye fillet and leopard frogs. Gob of night crawlers worked too. I do not think you can import frogs, so check (maybe frozen is ok). If the wind is in the north, the river is full and easy to navigate. If the wind is in the south, it blows the water out and can be shallow. Hang on to your rods because the fish are not bashful. Lost one rod by laying it down in the boat to take off another fish. Gone before we could even react Hope this helps. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply tom. Was the bait shop run by Stu Mckay at the old Cats on the Red resort by chance? I read that he was out of the lodging business but had a ramp close to the dam. What was the charge to put in? Did you buy your frogs or have to go out and find them? At Drayton I have used frogs, chubs, shrimp, suckers and goldeye. I’d say my favorite two are the frogs and goldeye. I reckon I’ll throw a light rod in the truck and try to catch some goldeye if I need to. I understand you cant buy them up there because they are treated as game.

I have monster rod holders in my boat mounted on a 2×6 aluminum channel rod rack. If they can tear that baby loose I’m gonna need a bigger boat. lol

Participant

I fished with cats on the red in 2009. Stu’s ramp is about 1/3 mile north of St. Andrews dam. I don’t recall him having a bait shop, but it was guided so I may just not have paid attention. There was one in town that we stopped at once for the heck of it. I don’t recall what the ramp fee was either since we didn’t have a boat there. All we used with the guide was cut bait (goldeye or mooneye, I can’t recall which). My brother and I caught 67 catfish in two days of guided fishing, the guide apologized for how slow it was since it was hot in the mid 80’s. Average was probably 22 lbs or so with a couple being a little over 30. We fished off shore after the guided part and caught a high 20’s fish and sauger. Caught the smallest cat of the trip on the morning we left off shore, it looked tiny and was 12 lbs.

Fished Drayton part of one day in 2008 and did fairly well. An 11 lb and 19 lb cat and a 7lb walleye. I need to get back up there one of these days.

Participant

Quote by: smallmunster

I fished with cats on the red in 2009. Stu’s ramp is about 1/3 mile north of St. Andrews dam. I don’t recall him having a bait shop, but it was guided so I may just not have paid attention. There was one in town that we stopped at once for the heck of it. I don’t recall what the ramp fee was either since we didn’t have a boat there. All we used with the guide was cut bait (goldeye or mooneye, I can’t recall which). My brother and I caught 67 catfish in two days of guided fishing, the guide apologized for how slow it was since it was hot in the mid 80’s. Average was probably 22 lbs or so with a couple being a little over 30. We fished off shore after the guided part and caught a high 20’s fish and sauger. Caught the smallest cat of the trip on the morning we left off shore, it looked tiny and was 12 lbs.

Fished Drayton part of one day in 2008 and did fairly well. An 11 lb and 19 lb cat and a 7lb walleye. I need to get back up there one of these days.

I see you caught some 30 pounders up there. That’s what I’m hoping for. I’d settle for one of those. lol I’ve put some 23’s in my boat and my buddy had a 27.

I’m not sure what to think of the one pole and no barbed hook law. I’m used to seeing 6 poles on my rod rack in Iowa. I already feel like its a big downsize dropping down to 4 poles (two guys) in Drayton. I’m gonna feel naked with only one pole a piece. Two years ago in mid August we were below the dam at Drayton and had a quadruple at about 10 at night. Big one was 21 1/2 and the smallest was 15. In the dark. Pandemonium. lol

I’m a hard core cat guy and my personal best ever in Iowa is 13-10. That tells you something about the quality of fish up there. It’s crazy to think you put 12 and 13 pounders in your boat and don’t bother weighing them because they’re ‘dinks’.

Participant

We always stayed at the campground in Selkirk. Free boat ramp. And caught all of our frogs right there. There used to be a small swampy area there. This could have changed though. It’s been along time since I’ve been there.

Participant

Quote by: grizzwald660

We always stayed at the campground in Selkirk. Free boat ramp. And caught all of our frogs right there. There used to be a small swampy area there. This could have changed though. It’s been along time since I’ve been there.

Thanks for the frog tip grizz. I’ll keep that in mind. How far from the campground to the dam do you reckon it is? I see where the one close to the dam is a pay ramp, but if it saves a bunch of time and gas I’m sure we’ll use it.

I suppose we’ll find the one at the park at some point because I don’t like fishing in one spot only. We’ll need to at least do a bit of exploring. I suppose I’ve seen close to 15 miles each way above and below the Drayton dam. The best fishing is below the dam, but my personal best up there came above the dam.

Participant

I would guess about 20 minutes. We had a 20hp motor so it could be less.

Participant

Lets clear all this up quickly.

THERE IS NO BAIT SHOP! You better have your bait and be prepared before you get there or you will be hoping to catch goldeyes or pounding the ditches for frogs in the morning.

The launch you want is in Selkirk called Selkirk Park. Launching is $12 per day but it is clean and has nice safe docks. It is about a 5 mile ride by river up to the dam but that time of year the better fish tend to not be at the dam. They also have a campground there.

9 times out of 10 shrimp is a waste of time and sunfish is illegal to use up there.

Participant

Quote by: CaptainBrad

Lets clear all this up quickly.

THERE IS NO BAIT SHOP! You better have your bait and be prepared before you get there or you will be hoping to catch goldeyes or pounding the ditches for frogs in the morning.

The launch you want is in Selkirk called Selkirk Park. Launching is $12 per day but it is clean and has nice safe docks. It is about a 5 mile ride by river up to the dam but that time of year the better fish tend to not be at the dam. They also have a campground there.

9 times out of 10 shrimp is a waste of time and sunfish is illegal to use up there.

Thanks for the help Brad. This is my first time there so I’m sure I’ll have a learning curve about the whats and the wheres. In a perfect world I would have a ready supply of FRESH goldeyes, tullibees, suckers/chubs and frogs for my top choices. But with regulations and a border to cross and nearly 14 hours away I’ll have to improvise the best I can. I will be taking as many frozen chubs as I can along with some huge raw gulf shrimp. I have made a contact for some tullibee but I know better than to count on that as a certainty. I will also be trying to catch some goldeye once we are there if the tullibee deal falls through.

Participant

I have cat fished up there a couple times. Sometimes the day bite was good and other times we could only get them fast during the night. One spot that was most consistent for us was in the area of Doc Reids. Basically south of the Selkirk ramp and around the bend south of the power plant. I think there is a golf course that would be to the north of where we anchored up.
    Other spots was the miracle mile, in front of lower fort gary, and the limestone mile.
    In late summer, TV bait shrimp and goldeye on a circle hook was our best baits at that time. Goldeye we caught ourselves with a small jig tipped with a crawler under a bobber about 3 feet down. Sometimes we had no trouble getting the goldeye other times we struggled.
    We also brought up a bunch of frozen leopard frogs and they had their moments of fast action.

Our set up was a no roll sinker slip sinker and about a 1 to 1.5 foot leader and a circle hook. We found with the longer leader the bait may have moved around too much with the current so we shortened em up and that seemed to help.

Hope this helps some.

Participant

Quote by: Stickman

I have cat fished up there a couple times. Sometimes the day bite was good and other times we could only get them fast during the night. One spot that was most consistent for us was in the area of Doc Reids. Basically south of the Selkirk ramp and around the bend south of the power plant. I think there is a golf course that would be to the north of where we anchored up.
    Other spots was the miracle mile, in front of lower fort gary, and the limestone mile.
    In late summer, TV bait shrimp and goldeye on a circle hook was our best baits at that time. Goldeye we caught ourselves with a small jig tipped with a crawler under a bobber about 3 feet down. Sometimes we had no trouble getting the goldeye other times we struggled.
    We also brought up a bunch of frozen leopard frogs and they had their moments of fast action.

Our set up was a no roll sinker slip sinker and about a 1 to 1.5 foot leader and a circle hook. We found with the longer leader the bait may have moved around too much with the current so we shortened em up and that seemed to help.

Hope this helps some.

That is helpful, thanks Stickman. I’ll keep some of those spots in my notes. It really doesn’t hurt much to share spots up there, it is pretty much entirely catch and release anyway.

So you took some frozen frogs in from the states with no issues? I am aware that you cannot take in live leopard frogs and I’ve actually made three calls to the Manitoba version of the DNR to see if I can bring in frozen frogs. The first two gals didn’t know for sure and patched me through to a third who left me a message when I wasn’t home unfortunately. She told me no, but I’m going to call her back, I think the gal that relayed my question to her neglected to stress that they would be dead and frozen.

Participant

Quote by: phishnutz

Hope this helps some.

That is helpful, thanks Stickman. I’ll keep some of those spots in my notes. It really doesn’t hurt much to share spots up there, it is pretty much entirely catch and release anyway.

So you took some frozen frogs in from the states with no issues? I am aware that you cannot take in live leopard frogs and I’ve actually made three calls to the Manitoba version of the DNR to see if I can bring in frozen frogs. The first two gals didn’t know for sure and patched me through to a third who left me a message when I wasn’t home unfortunately. She told me no, but I’m going to call her back, I think the gal that relayed my question to her neglected to stress that they would be dead and frozen.

Its been about 10 or more years since I have been up there cat fishing. I do go up yearly still to target walleye in October. To answer your question I was pretty young and dumb back then and not concerned at that time what we brought up for bait. We just knew at that time we couldn’t take live bait so we brought frozen frogs and shrimp. They did ask if we had any live bait at the border in which we said no. So I really can’t answer your question if what we did was legit or not. But if I could make a guess frogs and any other bait is fine to take across if dead/frozen.

Participant

Quote by: phishnutz

Hope this helps some.

Its been about 10 or more years since I have been up there cat fishing. I do go up yearly still to target walleye in October. To answer your question I was pretty young and dumb back then and not concerned at that time what we brought up for bait. We just knew at that time we couldn’t take live bait so we brought frozen frogs and shrimp. They did ask if we had any live bait at the border in which we said no. So I really can’t answer your question if what we did was legit or not. But if I could make a guess frogs and any other bait is fine to take across if dead/frozen.

I would also like to think that any frozen bait should be good to go, but I know better than to assume that. I will find out for sure before I go to the trouble of catching a batch of frogs. I spend a tremendous amount of time here at home keeping myself in quality bait over the spring, summer and fall this is just another logistical problem to overcome.

Participant

The border asks where you are going, what you are doing, if you have weapons, how much booze and if you have live bait. Look them in the eye and answer. Just say “no all bait is frozen” and all is good.

I go up 2 or 3 times per year and take all kinds of frozen bait with, including frogs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.